I'm switching from Dykem to a Magic Marker

Jason812

Registered
Registered
Yep, I spilled an almost full bottle on the floor. Hopefully acetone will clean it up sometime tomorrow as I don't have any at the moment. The floors are epoxied and hopefully not ruined.

Attachments

• 20220108_224154.jpg
    20220108_224154.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 99
Yep, I spilled an almost full bottle on the floor. Hopefully acetone will clean it up...
If Wikipedia can be trusted, it's blue because of gentian violet stain, and the pigment will turn
transparent with alkali treatment. Some bicarbonate of soda, or lye, or ammonia, would be worth
trying.

Shellac is another listed ingredient; isopropanol, and maybe some glycerine mixed in, would be
a suitable not-too-fast-drying solvent for that.

Been there, done that. Mine was the bottle with the dauber on the top like a bingo marker. I gently squeezed the bottle because it was not marking the part. It spit the top out and made a big mess.
Joe

I haven’t knocked my jar over yet, but even so I have been using magic markers more and more. I got this one from Staples and it works really well, nice wide tip to cover large areas quickly. I also use blue sharpies with the wide chisel tip, but I think the red pen was cheaper when comparing the capacity and why I bought it.

Attachments

• 6C4CF103-B21C-4A3A-BC42-AE3886F5098F.jpeg
    6C4CF103-B21C-4A3A-BC42-AE3886F5098F.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 92
Little known fact about Magic Marker. When working with 6160 T6 aluminum sheet, sometimes it won't take a bend, (too hard). cover the area to be bent with (I use sharpies), heat it with a small torch until the black dissapears (careful, you can melt the aluminum), and you've annealed the aluminum.

I always used the soot from a very rich acetylene flame as the marker for annealing aluminum.

Easy process,
Rich flame, soot up the part.
Neutral flame,
wave over part until soot burns off.
let cool or quench depending on your hurry.

I am in the opposite direction. I am using my Dykem more and marker less. With cutting oils I find that the marker does not hold up as well as dykem. I have the big sharpie and use it when needed, but the dykem for more layout work since it lasts longer I find that dykem does not last as long as it used to when I was younger (before machining) but still fabricating.

Back