Import 5C Collet Chuck questions

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Considering a 5C collet Chuck over a Jacobs flex collet Chuck, mostly because the rarified J921 1-1/2" Jacobs collet is either a myth or lost to the ages.

Question, I know I will be pushing the limits of my Atlas 10" lathe but has anyone run a 5C collet Chuck with a step collet? Specifically, as large as 3"? If so, any concerns, pitfalls to look out for?

Last edited:
I gave up on the import 5c collet chucks. My 3 jaw was more accurate. I went through two of them from different venders. The Hardinge pot chucks work well and have an outside closer. With out the outside closer I don’t think they would work so well. A 3 jaw chuck with soft jaws might be better especially if you have ever looked at the price of a hardinge pot chuck.

Hmm. Didn’t think of soft jaws. That is a good idea. Thanks for the feedback on the imports as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you looking for the collet itself, the chuck that can accommodate the 921 collet, or both. I don't believe the 921 collet ever came with any of the sets. I believe the largest in sets was 920. The 921 is available from several vendors, but it's outrageously expensive. The only website that would give a price was asking $822.00 for a single collet. Keep in mind this collet won't fit the standard chuck. You'll need the larger nose chuck.

I have a bison (ebay find) 5c collet chuck. I really like it. It's good, as in you can turn a part, flip it end for end, continue turning and not see or measure the break between operations. However the pain is 5C collets like everything to be almost perfectly on size. Oversize stock, and it doesn't want to go in the chuck.

The advantage of the 5C collets are when working with small parts. I like the smaller chuck nose when working close to the chuck. There's no rough surfaces to tear you up if you bump into the spinning chuck if filing for polishing something. You can grip really small things fairly repeatably if you make an reducer 'insert' for say a larger (1/4") collet. (For turning #0-80 screw heads down for example)

I'll be looking for a larger ER series adjustable chuck soon enough. At least those have collects that cover a continuous range.
But, I'm sure there aren't any that will go as big as you are looking for.

The oversize 5C with larger diameter thin parts might be nice, tho. Maybe I'll have to pick up some of the larger 5C collets... :)

I have a Bison Set-Tru 5C Collet Chuck, it's a nice chuck. I thought about the cheaper import (Bison is an import too) but after reading about the issues and poor quality, I decided to go with the mantra of buy once, cry once and I'm glad I did. Just did the same thing with a 6" 3-jaw chuck for my Monarch 10EE.

Cheers!

Are you looking for the collet itself, the chuck that can accommodate the 921 collet, or both. I don't believe the 921 collet ever came with any of the sets. I believe the largest in sets was 920. The 921 is available from several vendors, but it's outrageously expensive. The only website that would give a price was asking $822.00 for a single collet. Keep in mind this collet won't fit the standard chuck. You'll need the larger nose chuck.
Looking for the chuck and the collet. It appears you are right about the 921 being a special collet. They are unicorns and with the price tag being higher than a used complete set - I’m not sure the Jacobs solution is going to work for me.

FWIW, I used a 5C a step collet to face some brass discs, they were just under 2" and the grip depth was only about 0.050", it worked great.

I'm running a set of generic 5c collets and generally they are fine for the application I am working on.
I'm using a home made 5c collet holder mounted in a 4 jaw chuck so if the accuracy is in question, I can
true it up using the chuck key. Machining as accurate as one puts his eye to.

Back