import axa wedge tool post are they all the same???

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Well I want to get one for my g0602 and had my eye on the bostar from cdco but I'm a lil hesitant cause of mixed reviews on cdco so I'm wondering is there a big difference between bostar and all the other imports or has cdco straightened out pondering what to do ???

I have the Bostar wedge style AXA tool post from CDCO, and I really like it. The tool holders are cheap, so it's easy to buy a BUNCH of them for quick and easy changes. This tool post was the single best upgrade I made to my lathe. I could never go back to a lantern or turret style. I've read about the CDCO issues too, but I live local to their shop, so I pick up my tools in person and have never had a problem. They are Chinese, and speak very broken English.

GG

Nope, not all China tool posts are the same even though they all use the same part numbering system. Phase II is made in China & uses the same numbering system but their QC/quality is much better than the other China tool posts I have seen.

I'm one of those who stay far away from CDCO. They're fine until you you have a problem & need to return/exchange/refund. I won't even think of taking the chance anymore.

A China tool post will do fine in most cases but if it were me with a set budget I would look for a used Aloris. I've had China then got a DTM later. I loved the DTM but it wouldn't fit my new lathe. DTMs are hard to find in BXA size so I went with the newer wedge Dorian & I'm glad I did. I absolutely love my Dorian SQCTP but it does cost a lot....a luxury for the hobbyist machinist.

I had no problems with them and liked the wedge type axa bostar. I hear the phase II are worth the extra$, but don't know first hand.

So what was the biggest improvement of the Dorian toolpost over the previous import models? I'm assuming they are all the same type (wedge).

So what was the biggest improvement of the Dorian toolpost over the previous import models? I'm assuming they are all the same type (wedge).

You'll have to judge whether the "improvements" make it a "better" tool post. I'm certainly not qualified to say, it's my opinion based on using them & how they feel. Look up the patents for the Aloris QCTP & the Dorian SQCTP to see the differences.

I'm pretty sure the China wedge tool posts are just a copy of the Aloris. The DTM is based on the Aloris & has some added features. Never took my DTM apart but just by looking at the bottom you can see that the DTM has added guides for the wedges.

The Dorian SQCTP (Super Quick Change Tool Post) is what they call their triple action wedge lock design. Even though the p/ns are the same it's completely different than their previous cam lock design that had 2 cams pushing outwards instead of a wedge that moves up & down. The Dorian is also designed so that the handle can be indexed every 15 deg. The Dorian has a dowel feature that allows it to be pinned to the T-nut so it can't move under extreme pressure (I have spun it before without the dowels). It also has backlash adjustments.

I'd probably be perfectly fine with an import QCTP but I'd take a used Aloris or DTM over one any day. The imports just feel cheap in comparison. And I'd choose a SQCTP over any of those. Again, just my opinion.

Other options are the KDK & Multifix. Like the DTM, neither are no longer produced but the knock offs of the KDK & Multifix are still produced. The KDK never interested me but I've never used one. If I didn't have the Dorian I think I would try the Multifix type tool post, also called the 40 position tool post. Not as popular but it has features that I think are pretty nice.

I have had a number of lathes over the years, and I install a QCTP on every one i get. I have only had one Aloris, and it was used when I got it, so it may have been worn. But it did not look it. At any rate, I have had a Phase II, a couple of CDCOs, and maybe a few others. They all worked fine. The only one that gave me any minor problems was the Aloris, in that I never could get the handle to where it would lock out of the way. It always hung over the work no matter what I did.

CDCO just went up on their generic QCTP kits, so for the same money I'm going to buy a couple of tools4cheap units. Nice guy, and he appears to have an eye for quality, and a low tolerance for...low tolerances.

ETA - just checked both sites. T4C is lower on the piston type, and higher on the wedge type. On average it's a wash. I don't know who ships cheaper.

I agree with Darkzero, the Dorian is expensive, but it has a few improvements that make it a very strong, solid toolpost. We have an Aloris at work and it is a nice toolpost, however, it gets abused and has been abused for the past 26+ years. But it does take it, so that should be noted.

I had a Phase II on my previous lathe and really liked it, however, now after using my Dorian for the past 20+ hours I don't think I could give it up.

Mike.

I have an Aloris AXA on my SB and love it. I have a Bostar wedge BXA on my 12 x 36. (a replacemement for the original piston type) I was not happy with it. Not smooth. I loaded it up with valve grinding compound and worked the crap out of it. It improved but only slightly. I had heard good things about Phase II and when I saw an email add from a major supplier, I bought a Phase II. The tool holders would not go on. I took it to a Friends place who has an Aloris BXA. My tool holders fit fine on the aloris and the Bostar. The Aloris tool holders would not fit on the Phase II. I have to say that the fit and finish on the Bostar is better than the Phase II.!!! Needless to say, the PhaseII is heading back. Others have had good luck with the PII stuff. There must be a reason that the aloris stuff is more than twice the cost. :)
I have not used any Dorian stuff. I may take a look at that next.

By the way, - I am back to using the bostar.....it is the best that I have :))

Back