Import Machinist Level Worth The Money?

737mechanic

Registered
Registered
Whats up guys, been here for a while but this is my first post.

Set up my new Grizzly G4003G last week and need to level it. I have been bidding on starrett #98 machinist levels but have not scored one yet. I do not want to pay to much for something I will use so little. I have been thinking about the import levels that shars and others sell but have not been able to find any reviews on them. I found one forum that the guy claimed his was junk and would not repeat so based on that I am reluctant to purchase one. Does anyone here have one and are you happy with it. Does it seem to do what it should? Just want some opinions before I order one.

You have a PM waiting. Conversation that is.

"Billy G"

I bought an Asian precision level about a year ago to level my lathe. My approach was that I wanted to get the lathe somewhat level, e.g closer than a carpenter's level, and then use Rollie's Dad's method and a turning bar to dial it in. I couldn't justify spending a couple hundred dollars, or more, for a level that would get me level within .0005" then adjust the lathe "out of level" to get it to cut straight. My 2 cents.

Tom S

I bought a Starrett on Ebay, used it to get the lathe level, then had to tweak the tailstock end of the lathe to get it to cut straight. I was like Huh?!?

If I had to do it over, I'd get the lathe close with a carpenters level then finish with the cuts/measuring and save myself a bunch of money.

The tailstock adjustment has nothing to do with the lathe being level. The lathe needs to be level first and what this actually means is there is NO twist in the ways from the headstock to the end of the lathe. Then you adjust the tailstock to make sure it is perfectly centered to the headstock. Then if you want to ever cut a tapper you will adjust the tail stock to get whatever tapper you want.

I just got a Starrett 98-12 for $126.00. It a a small ding in one corner, but was otherwise in perfect shape. It was a good deal for an almost $400 level.

Ebay price is averaging at $125.00. I have an extra I offered the OP for much less. If he doesn't take it we will see.

"Billy G"

I purchased a Starrett 199 for $285 on ebay via buy it now...after starting a bidding war on another one :oops: I think a #98 is perfectly fine for leveling a G4003G lathe (I have the same lathe).

I bought a Starrett on Ebay, used it to get the lathe level, then had to tweak the tailstock end of the lathe to get it to cut straight. I was like Huh?!?

If I had to do it over, I'd get the lathe close with a carpenters level then finish with the cuts/measuring and save myself a bunch of money.
I bought an Asian precision level about a year ago to level my lathe. My approach was that I wanted to get the lathe somewhat level, e.g closer than a carpenter's level, and then use Rollie's Dad's method and a turning bar to dial it in. I couldn't justify spending a couple hundred dollars, or more, for a level that would get me level within .0005" then adjust the lathe "out of level" to get it to cut straight. My 2 cents.

Tom S

Twisting a levelled/squared lathe to cut straight??? Perhaps order of adjustments should be re-examined. Nice if floor/platform and shims allow level, but the real goal is squared to the spindle.

The bed was leveled, measurements were taken to make sure the spindle was true to saddle movement, then cuts were done on a unsupported 2/5" piece of stock until taper was within my desired specs. Adjustments were done at the tailstock end.

Not sure what you're suggesting here.

Back