Import Tool & Cutter Grinder

Mine has R8 spindle and I found a outfit that carries square ID R8, so I can use that to grind precision HSS lathe and shaper bits. Very handy. Also made a radius head for the TS for doing radii on my scraper ala Stefan Gottswinter. It is really turning into a lot handier tool than I thought.

That sounds cool, C-bag. Would like to see some pics of your setup & resultant projects one day.

I've been considering this one, says it's about 105lbs, $400 free shipping but the collets look like the Deckle ones? I'd rather have 5c or R8 as I already own those.

But then I keep thinking I should just build the Harold Hall's grinding rest and use a bench grinder with it, it should cover resharpening all commonly used cutters in the home shop. Although a D bit grinder like the above you could make single tooth form tools with ease.

I've been considering this one, says it's about 105lbs, $400 free shipping but the collets look like the Deckle ones? I'd rather have 5c or R8 as I already own those.

But then I keep thinking I should just build the Harold Hall's grinding rest and use a bench grinder with it, it should cover resharpening all commonly used cutters in the home shop. Although a D bit grinder like the above you could make single tooth form tools with ease.

Tools that you build yourself not only bring the satisfaction of building something but justification for buying other tools to build them with;)

Cheers,

John

Tools that you build yourself not only bring the satisfaction of building something but justification for buying other tools to build them with;)

Cheers,

John

Very true! Except when the list of projects is a mile long I end up waiting and waiting and waiting and then eventually buy one anyway. Then I realize if I bought one sooner I'd have gotten more use out of it - because life is finite lol

Would I trade my chinese Deckel for a Harold Hall grinder? No. The single-lip grinder is versatile. I mainly do lathe bits (lots and lots and lots of lathe bits) to include cemented carbide on mine. I also do lots of drill bits. And end mill faces and flutes. And I make D-bits. And regrind pin punches. And sharpen scratch awls. It's a versatile tool made even better with the right fixtures.

Edit: Mine's the (older) 5C version from Shars. Came with the drill attachment, the lathe bit attachment, the flute attachment, and the regular work head.

@pontiac428 have you read Harold's grinding book? I'm asking because I'd like to know if Harold's tool rest has any advantages over a universal cutter/grinder? for example can a universal tool grinder grind/sharpen things like dove tail cutters and slitting saws too?

I have a paper copy and a digital copy of the tool grinding book(s) by Harold Hall. The Hall grinding rest does not offer the adjustability that you get out of a single lip grinder with a lathe bit head, let alone what you get out of an indexing work head. The single lip gives you micro infeed on the grinder wheel's axis, allows 180 degrees of swing, precision lateral tilt, and precision forward tilt/rise. With the lathe tool work head, it also gives tool axis infeed and lateral traverse. I did the Stefan Goetteswinter trick by installing a brass point on the swing axis, letting me dial in tool tip radii.

It's not quite as versatile as a proper T&C grinder, but it's 1/5th the price. Watch some youtube videos on the "deckel clone" to get a better idea of how they can be used. I have an 8-point dovetail cutter that's about 3/4" across the face, and I wouldn't hesitate to sharpen it in the deckel clone. Small stuff gets a little tricky, but big tools (> 1/4") are easy. 4-flute end mills smaller than 3/8 are hard (easier with CBN wheels), but 2-flute mills have no lower diameter limit.

Sorry for delayed reply..... Rather lame excuse but I have different summer hobbies & because the season is so short, my metalworking typically kicks in when the weather gets crappy....
No apologies necessary. We have a similar seasonal rhythm of life in Winnipeg- summer and workshop season...

This is the trick, there are several mod's to these. The one in the pic comes with the Deckel style collets, and you don't just pick them up anywhere. pontiac428 got the mod with the 5c head, I got the one with R8 head. The Deckel collets don't even go up to 1/2", and I don't know about you but the first endmill I wanted to sharpen was my 3/4". At the time I was just focused on r8 because I have a full set. But if I'd known Shars had a 5c for $900-/+ I would have gone that route. They also sell the grinder wheel hubs so like Robin Rinzetti has once you get a wheel trued if you want to change you pull the wheel/hub and put another wheel/hub on. Turns out my clone doesn't use that hub :( truly the devil is in the details and for me the the clone collets are worthless.

Back