Imported 5C chuck and the D1-6 adapter

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
If you have been looking at a 5C chuck for your lathe, I am very satisfied with my purchase.
I bought the D1-6 adapter from Ajax Tooling for $86, plus shipping.
I bought the 5C chuck from CDCO for $179 I think. Plus shipping.
I had to machine the adapter to fit the chuck.
As shown with a piece of 5/8" W1 rod, I measured .001" TIR.
I am very happy with that for the price point.
There was no dirty grinding dust in the chuck. Everything was clean and lubed well. Oh and the Allen bolts are 12.9 metric.5C chuck.jpg

Last edited:
@Janderso
Jeff - I get it that the adapter came from Ajax Tooling, which would be the firm in Dublin.

The 5C collet chuck from CDCO is in a sale slot for $139 (remarkable)!
http://cdcotools.com/

So when I look at the "other" stuff on the Ajax page for Manual Collet Chucks, ranging from $500 through $985, I get thinking it cannot be like for like. I must be not understanding something!
https://www.ajaxtoolsupply.com/macoch.html

It's from ignorance, I know, but what am I missing?

I’ll find it.
There are two Ajax tools.
I may have the wrong one.
Back in a minute

I got my 5C collet chuck from CDCO also awhile back. I was pleased at how little run out it had. I got it with a D1-4 back so no adapter plate needed.

Well don’t I feel silly.
I bought both from CDCO and you are correct, on sale!!
Item number 25501 5C Chuck, plain back. $133

Item number 26509 Back plate D1-6 $86.

$219 plus $28 freight.

I’m sure there is a big difference for the ones you pay ten times this amount but I would never own a 5C collet Chuck if it weren’t for the Asian source.

My memory is about as long as that thing in my nether region.
Can I say that?

OK - I got that far now! :)
The tooling, if Asian, still start from the tempting sale items page at CDCO Schaumburg, IL

Similar to anything PM, which starts in Taiwan, but has to be shipped to East Coast USA as delivery, sent across the pond imported USA --> UK, customs duty at UK port, then separate charged shipping across UK.

I guess I am going to have to start looking at Alibaba or Bandgood.
We are definitely in the same boat when it comes to not paying ten times the price.

I cut the face of the adapter to make sure of a true plane. I know hard turning when I see it.
I can't buy the steel to make the adapter for the price I paid for the finished product.
The quality of these products for the price is truly incredible.
I really think the quality of the Chinese products are improving all the time.

Attachments

• 0F7E6A55-B063-4886-B16C-701804658111.MOV
    10.5 MB
Last edited:
Back