Imported Involute Gear Cutter Sets

I had forgotten the spelling difference. I just did a quick search using gear tooth gauges and the price difference is just WOW. Thanks for giving the heads up on that.

"Billy G"

I had forgotten the spelling difference. I just did a quick search using gear tooth gauges and the price difference is just WOW. Thanks for giving the heads up on that.

"Billy G"

You are very welcome, Which spelling had the less expensive gear cutters?

Thank you Bill for following up on this problem.
I have been laid low with a particularly nasty virus for over a week so have been out of the loop so to speak.
The company that i got my original cutter from now has new stock but is still advertising both DP and Module cutter's
with the same numbering system . I have contacted them today and told them your findings ( not naming you ) I await there reply.
Brian. View attachment 226603 View attachment 226604

Brian, I went to the RDG website, do you know where the involute gear cutters are manufactured? They are listed as having a 1" bore, everything I see from China has a 22mm bore. I "know" very little about the numbering system between Metric and Imperial other than unless you are purchasing a full set you need to be doubly sure that you are getting the correct cutter to cut the teeth that you need.

Mike

I have an old gear gauge it's a free one from a gear company. Not metal but accurate enough to show me the gear I have is the 10 DP with the 14-5 angle , then I counted the teeth 34 cked the count three times too. Still some of the old gear cutters only tell the count and the angle . No hurry tho I still need to find a dividing head and tailstock. Used they sell for more then the China or India clones new with everything.

Just scored a Touch Down. Starrett #456AZ Gear Tooth Vernier --- #110.00 shipping included.

"Billy G"

Hi Mike I am still waiting for a reply from RGD I assume that their DP cutters are ok but am still wary
of the module ones.
The cutter I now have is from China, It is marked in reverse and states the number of teeth it will cut.
But it has a 22 mm bore so I have had to modify the arbour so it now takes both sizes
I have cut a test gear in plastic that looks good. so I am hoping to get into the shop soon to cut the six gears
required for the Radial engine.
Brian.

Brian;

You will be OK as long as the gears that you are meshing with are module. The tooth profile is slightly different between module and DP.

"Billy G"

Brian,

I just sent and email to RDG Tools asking the country of origin for the gear cutters as well as if they ship to the U.S.
It appears that their gear cutters, both imperial (DP) and metric (module) are numbered the same. #1 cutter is for 135 to Rack, same as the DP cutter set. The only listed difference that I noticed, is that the DP sets are 1" bore while the Module sets are 22 mm bore.

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/WHICH-CUTTER-FOR-WHICH-TEETH-2026.html

good luck with your gear cutting. One problem that I had when running the dividing head to the next tooth location is accidently knocking the sector arms out of position. What I do now, is to rub some soapstone along the sector arm to mark the correct hole on the dividing plate. This way if the arm moves out of position it is a simple matter to find the correct hole and reset the arms.

Back