Impressive

I would love to see that one in ultra slow motion. I'm having trouble getting my head around that one. Thanks for posting.

I would love to see that one in ultra slow motion. I'm having trouble getting my head around that one. Thanks for posting.

To me it looks like that is a single tooth flycutter type tool, spinning at 6 times the speed of the main spindle, and it produces six flats. Because of the main spindle and sub spindle rotating, it produces a flat instead of a curved face.

Just a guess, really cool video!

A few years ago a shop I worked in bought a multi-axis live tooled machining center. Pretty cool. We had two programmers go to school for the Espirit software we bought for programming it. They were already ace programmers, but this school was part of the purchase. The school got into that polygon milling, and each of them brought back a fancy pen they made at school. It's all about the encoders on both the spindle and the live tooling. It is a little hard to see how it works at first, but it does make sense after it sinks in. 2 objects rotating in fixed radii but yielding flat surfaces eh....yep. I had to think on it a bit, but I know how it works.

To me it looks like that is a single tooth flycutter type tool, spinning at 6 times the speed of the main spindle, and it produces six flats. Because of the main spindle and sub spindle rotating, it produces a flat instead of a curved face.

Just a guess, really cool video!

Look near the end of the video Andre, after the cut is made. The tool is a indexable circular form tool with three inserts.

"Billy G"

http://www.hornusa.com/products/milling/ scroll down the page. you will find Polygon Cutters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the days before CNC, I purchased several polygon turning machines for use in a production application. Back then, they had a drive shaft with U joints and a slip yoke and spline to time the spindle to the milling cutter. Once electronics got good enough to maintain that relationship, this type of machine timing went away. We put slots (drive tangs) in the face of a power transmission part, and the great advantage was that the spacing was near perfect, so that all teeth would carry the load.

Back