Improved Y axis handle on Atlas MF

gerritv

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I found that the standard handwheel was tedious to use for raising the knee, especially where it transistions on the double screw. Moving Y a small amount was as a result a bit of trial and error.

I added a lever, without modifying the handwheel.
A piece of 1/8" steel, 1/4" wide was bent to follow the curve of the handwheel. It was then cut to fit between the 2 ridges on the back of 2 spokes. A 5/16 nut was welded on in the centre of the arc.
A 1" wide piece of 1/8 steel was cut, 1/4 hole at one end for the knob, the other end was cut out to fit closely around the original knob base. A 5/16 hole was drilled in line with the nut on the clamp bracket. Then 2 oposing bends to provide clearance from the Z wheel handle.

Still needs deburing and blackening (Caswell Black Oxide) but it is functional for now.

Already a joy to use.

gerrit

Attachments

• IMG_20230214_195349.jpg
    IMG_20230214_195349.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20230214_195330.jpg
    IMG_20230214_195330.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20230214_195318.jpg
    IMG_20230214_195318.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 38
Very nice. I agree- the double-screw transition is annoying. I have taken it apart, cleaned and oiled the double-screw several times. Doesn't help.

I am having the same issue. My knee goes up very smooth, even through the transition point of the two telescoping screws, but coming down it binds every time at that same point. Very annoying, have to raise, lower, raise, lower, until it finally breaks free. I sure would like to know where it's binding, but I've had it apart several times and can't figure it out. I've tried oil and grease, no difference. Maybe someone with more experience will see this and offer a remedy?
Your handwheel extension is a great idea, but on mine it feels like more leverage would break something, like one of the spiral gears.

Mike

Mike, my 'solution' works very well to hide that transistion. Reduces the issue to something still noticeable but not distracting.

I may give it shot. It's really is very annoying.
Thanks, Mike

Back