Improving my 9x20 topslide

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I’ve been cheesed off with the motion of the top slide from day one so decided to make some improvements.
First I spotted the sliding flats and scraped them as flat as I could. There was a considerable corner to corner high spot.
Next I replaced the oval iron gibb strip with a trapizoidal brass piece that almost fit all the space, drilled a couple of indents into it for the gibb screws.
Then I thought why not make a longer lead screw for more travel as I have to make a new end for some bearings to smooth out the movement so do it all at the same time.
Its M6x1 which until I stripped it down I didnt realise. That makes travel calcs easier, 1 turn = 1 mm. Why didnt they place 50 divisions instead of the 40 on the dial (future job)
I decided upon a thrust bearing at the slide end and a roller bearing at the handle end.
This meant I needed another 24 mm of shaft, as I didnt have anything that thick I used two pieces of 12mm ally plate.
I cut them out with an angle grinder and filed to shape.
Now for a change in arcane lore.
When I file aluminium I dont stuff the file with chalk according to accepted wisdom to stop it pinning as I find that doesnt do a damn thing.
I use a file with a straight cut blade and fill it with WD40.

IMG20211031143834[1].jpg

It gives an excellent finish and doesnt pin.
This is after a heap of filing, loads of filings and no pins.

full file.jpg

Heres how the filed finish looks like with no buffing or sanding.

extension as filed.jpg

I set the leadscrew shaft into the tool holder and used a boring bar in the chuck to cut the key slot. I cocked up the woodruff slot a bit because as I was finishing its depth the cutter slid into the tool and its rear end took a slice of the top of the slot.
No problem as there is still enough metal to hold it.
Heres all the parts in the order of assembly.

in bits.jpg

I also wanted the two handles further apart so knocked up a spreader plate.
I did it this way to double check clearances for a larger dial when I get that far.
All assembled with a quick buffing to the aluminium extension.

complete.jpg

I am so impressed with how smooth the action is and how effortless turning the handles is.
I wish I had done this ages ago.

Forty divisions on the dial might be an attempt to put .001 inch markings on it. (close, no cigar). I like your lengthening the handle, more control, less torque needed. .001 marking? but you're in Australia, the home of metrics. Couldn't have been, mate.

the 40 divs does give 0.025mm per unit but that annoyed me every time I used it :laughing:
Which if I'm honest wasnt very often once I made the solid plinth

Nice job- I like brass gibs too, I put one in my Atlas compound
-M

Back