Impulse Purchase Atlas Mill

Nice find, Kroll. I wouldn't mind finding one of those myself!

The DVD you talk about is by Rudy Kouhoupt. You should find it useful.

Model #'s any ideal what they mean?Guys the manual that came w/the mill come from the guy on ebay which I guess is a manual in general.Can someone look and see if they can tell what yr this mill is? Just wanting alittle history.Tks----kroll

DSC02196.JPG

Terrywerm thanks for the guys name Rudy Kouhoupt and it is awesome.This mill has open the doors on alot of projects for me with precision.One of the things is the drill chuck,where can a person find one of those chucks? Do they come with a #2MT that works with the draw rod?I did find some 1 2 3 blocks on ebay and angle blocks which is a start for me collecting tools.---kroll

I own one and am very happy with it.
Join the atlas group on yahoo. Lots of help and a gentleman named Anthony in Berkley knows every thing there is to know about it.
I got collets from Discount Tools. Cheap.
It's surprisingly accurate, as long as you NEVER do a climb cut.
Everything on mine was really true except the table. It was out of parallel to the Gibs by .012 at the ends of the table.
Mine has two major mods. Chain drive on the main shaft and DC variable speed drive.

Sort of,well awhile back I posted a WTB ad for an Atlas mill and never over a 3mo period receive a responce so I just quick renewing the post besides I have enough things to do for the next 3 yrs.But yesterday I got a call,after talking to the owner we verbally agreed on the price and he would hold it till next week.But I just could not take it no longer,took 1/2 day off and after a 5hr round trip the mill is in my shop.Guys it did not come with much other than the vise,aftermarket manual and a CD of a guy name Rudy(I think) doing a demo on how to use it and its not one of those give away prices.But as they say wanting something badly drives up prices 5 Franklins.I am going to try my best not to ask questions such as where to buy cutters and maybe info on guys converting theirs over to a vertical mill and what the advantage is if any cause I'm still working on the SB lathe for now.Anyway thanks for looking and directions----kroll

Sweeper,if you get a chance please post pics of your mods love to see it.I don't know enough about this mill nor milling to want to make changes to mine but maybe in the future,but I hope this one the table is not out.But I will check it just in case,how did you go about correcting your table??GMC,I did plan on taking it apart and just do a good cleaning and check all the gears and try to get it all tune up,once I learn how to do that---kroll

Last edited:
I have two Atlas Mills last summer ,I paid 1,000.00 for my first one .It was in pieces ,but all there.The second one was also in pieces but was a newer model.( $500.00).I have torn it down and found nothing worn . I got wild on E bay and found and bought many extra parts ,my wife says What else are you going to stop buying things for your man cave . Kay

Kroll,

From the photos you posted at the beginning, it appears to have a drawbar, although from the shape of the head it isn't an original (according to the manuals, the original was square drive using the same crank as fits the vise).

If by numbers you are referring to "000902", that's the serial number. More on that later.

Robert D.

Toag,thanks I'll have to locate me some collets someplace and I guess maybe a draw bar???Any links to what I need to look for to use end mills?Robert its a MF 000902,any idea what the numbers mean??? I am missing the lower belt guard so thats on the want list---kroll

Toag,

The early (probably first couple of hundred) M1, MF or MH didn't come with belt guards and they may not have been available. From S/N 000200 on they were available with belt guards as an extra (like the lathes of the period). An MF ordered from the factory with belt guards would have had a model number of MF-G. I have yet to find a catalog listing the MFA but according to the parts list an MFA with guards is again an MFA-G. MFB's and MFC's came with belt guards. Although often enough they have been discarded by a PO (again, same as with the lathes).

FWIW, although at least of the surviving examples, almost all Atlas mills are MF(*), where (*), is nothing, A, B or C. there were two other variants. The M1 (that's em one, not em eye) does not have power table feed but is otherwise the same as MF. The MH has lever actuated rack and pinion drive on the table longitudinal travel and the knee vertical travel.

Robert D.

thanks Robert, i know very little about these, I had mine for only a few months. It was an MFC I bought from a retiring hobbiest. I made a few gears with it and some parts. They can do alot for their size, it really is surprising. I would make bigger and better cuts than the hi torque i had eons ago. I miss the power feed, i have to get around to installing something on my barker.

Back