In-process Lathe Chip Removal

Wobbles

Active User
Registered
I'm generally boring, but enough about me. :rolleyes:

But while boring in a collet-held lathe part, I'd like to know if anyone has ever connected a shop vac to the left-hand end of the collet bar to pull chips through the headstock and clear of the part. In a hobby situation, while woodpeckering away at a small part, I find that stopping the lathe to clear small chips takes a substantial percentage of the machining time.

I suppose compressed air could also be used to move chips the opposite direction, but there might be significant safety considerations.

Generally I'm boring holes small enough so that the boring bar nearly fills the hole, thereby making compressed air from a directed flex nozzle ineffective. My next project is polycarbonate, so flooded coolant is out.

Just curious about the feasibility.

I don't know why it wouldn't work if there is enough airflow to move the chips. A piece of PVC pipe that fits loosely in the drawbar might be a good ''rotary coupling''. Maybe greased a bit for friction control. I would not use anything too substantial in case something grabs, you want it to break free and not throw things across the room. Might be a good way to at least test the functionality.

The other option would be to make a real rotary coupling using a proper bearing if you are planing on using it a lot. Or maybe just attaching the hose really close to the end of the drawbar, but leaving a small gap so the hose never actually touches the drawbar.

Go with it! Let us know how it works, I think it's a great idea for this situation. Why wait for the swarf to fall before vacuuming it up?

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Great ideas there, guys.

A pipe with the bulk of its weight suspended in about the right location might tend to center itself on its own air bearing. More R&D is required !!

I use a shop vac from time to time. If i am breaking up chips it works great. If it is softer and cutting long stringey cheps than it clogs up and is a pain.

Wobbles,
Just a note of caution, do not use ANY flamable cutting aid with this set up. I knew someone who was boring out some steel pipe and was using a little kerosene. He decided to put vac hose on the other end of spindle to remove kero fumes. The arcing brushes in the vacuum showed why he should not do it again. Fortunately the vac was situated outside the shop and then, all over his backyard!!!
John.

Another example of something that annoys me, but not quite enough to make me put my mind to fixing it. Glad to know I wasn't only one to have this problem. Looking forward to your solution.

I'm generally boring, but enough about me. :rolleyes:

But while boring in a collet-held lathe part, I'd like to know if anyone has ever connected a shop vac to the left-hand end of the collet bar to pull chips through the headstock and clear of the part. In a hobby situation, while woodpeckering away at a small part, I find that stopping the lathe to clear small chips takes a substantial percentage of the machining time.

I suppose compressed air could also be used to move chips the opposite direction, but there might be significant safety considerations.

Generally I'm boring holes small enough so that the boring bar nearly fills the hole, thereby making compressed air from a directed flex nozzle ineffective. My next project is polycarbonate, so flooded coolant is out.

Just curious about the feasibility.
If you can create a successful method of doing what you describe every machine shop in North America will call you tomorrow morning offering to buy it.

Back