[4]

In search of a good Steady Rest (Finished)

8ntsane

Active User
Registered
Re: In search of a good Steady Rest

This should be a great build, and of interest to many members here. Seems so many lathes get passed around, and dont have the steady, or as in Bill,s case, not big enough to do the job.

I looked over the drawing, and I think it will be a nice piece when Bill gets it done. Being that its been decided by Bill to make the steady now, because it is needed for his other project, and post the build up of this project will have many of the members watching the progress.

I can say that from the drawing, this isnt going to be a run of the mill quick and dirty build. Im sure this steady will be of the best quality. Now its been started, keep yer eyes peeled, the good stuff is yet to come ;)

brasssmanget

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)

I blew that drawing plan pic up larger and looked at it too. I'm not anywhere close to a machinist, so it really impressed me. Looks like some nice sliding features in the adjusting tubes, knobs, etc. Am I reading it right? Curious what the material cost would be on this project - not that I am attempting one - just curious.

Chucketn

Toxic Lunatic & Psychotic
Registered

Bill,

Could I talk you into scanning your drawing and posing it. I can't seem to save it or make a good quality enlargement of the one you posted so I can see the details of your design. I need to make one for my Micromark 7x14.

Chuck

T

Tom Griffin

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!

This is just the type of thread I'd like to see more of on this site. If we are building things anyway, it doesn't take much time to snap a few pics and document it for others. It's not only an excellent way for the new machinist to learn, it's also great for the more experienced to see how others work. So if you guys are building something, snap a few pics and show us how it's done!

Keep up the good work Bill.

Tom

brasssmanget

Active User

Glad you stopped by. I can answer the price question in two parts. #1 -- How good can you scrounge? #2 -- If you have to pat for it all I'd guess at $90.00, depending on where you are located. The biggest expense will be for the two 7" dia. pieces of Aluminum 1" thick. The reason for two is the overlap where it opens up. You are pretty much correct on how it works. You have a good eye for a non-machinist.

Now, I've been in the shop for 4 hours and have three 11/32 holes drilled 2 1/2 inches deep. O have three holes drilled and tapped 5/16-18 thru.

"Billy G" :biggrin:
Oh, I can scrounge with the best of 'em :biggrin: Thanks.

That must have been interesting (and time consuming) tapping the three holes, not to mention the drilling. Patience is a virtue! (chuckle)

Old Iron

Active User

That is going to be a great Steady Rest. Now if I needed one I'd steal your idea. :biggrin:

Paul

Hawkeye

Active User

Looking good, Bill. Those should give you a good feel for the surface of the work. It might not hurt to drill a couple of holes in the outside face, just in case one of them ever gets tight to turn. You could use an adjustable pin wrench from an angle grinder to loosen it rather than clamping a pair of vise-grips on your knurled surface.

GK1918

Active User
Registered

Bill for what its worth, I wrote on this somewhere awhile back (sorry dead camara) I cut my housing
out of 1/2 plate, one big, one small ground and trimed those, then I used Detroit Diesel cam followers
(valve lifters) they are hardened big with a nice foot print. I turned three pieces of thick pipe internally
to these lifters, welded these three to the housing welded three nuts to the tops (downfeed) three bolts
with lock nuts. The rollers track the work perfectly cause of their wide foot print. Very strong too.
Just another quick idea that works for me Sam

4-2-2012 12;27;39 PM.jpg

brasssmanget

Active User

Looking good! And congrats on the 42 years - I'll hit the same mark at the end of May. Hope you are enjoying the anniversary. :halo:

brasssmanget

Active User

Very nice. I see you got around to changing the cap screws too :)

Old Iron

Active User

Looking good Billy, That will be better than a store model.

Paul

T

Tom Griffin

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!

Bill,

How are the bolsters for the locking screws attached? They seemed to just magically appear with no mention of how.:thinking:

Tom

T

Tom Griffin

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!

Ok Bill, that makes sense. Hopefully the welding won't warp your parts too much but I guess you could always run a reamer thru to make them round again.

Tom

T

Tom Griffin

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!

Glad I'm not the only one who sneaks into the shop between chores and "duties". :)

Tom

brasssmanget

Active User

It's a beautiful thing when a plan comes together :biggrin:

brasssmanget

Active User

Sorry to hear about the setback - look at it as just another bump in the road to success ;)

jfcayron

Active User

I went to the welder to pick up the sleeves and he ruined all three.
That's why I took welding classes at the local community college. Got only myself to blame for screwups, less frustrating. :lmao:

8ntsane

Active User
Registered

This is a great thread Bill
Ive been lurking since you started the project. Following the progress daily.
Good to see your back on track, even when S happens. This will be be one hell of a nice steady. ;)

Old Iron

Active User

Good one Billy glad you piulled it out of the files. I had to print it out so SWMBO could read it.

Paul

brasssmanget

Active User

I saw that a few years back. It's still hilarious! :biggrin:

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered

Okay, it's "show my ignorance" time. :eek: Bill, I'm not familiar with the "wire cutter". Is that somewhat similar to a bandsaw?

Thanks,

-Ron

brasssmanget

Active User

Thanks ScrapMetal - I thought I was the only uninformed person here when it came to wire cutters. Looks similar to a plasma cutter table setup, but..........??

That's gonna be the prettiest center rest I've ever laid eyes on! :biggrin:

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered

Very cool Bill... Now I want one! :drool: :biggrin:

-Ron

pdentrem

Active User
Registered

Wire EDMs is something else. We have two in the shop, usually making stamping die parts and other stuff. To the layman, I tell them to think of a metal cutting bandsaw that the blade does not touch the metal. I then say that it actually cuts by the reverse of welding. It removes the metal by pulling it away from the part and it is washed away by water, where it is filtered and polished to be reused. The wire is a one time use and goes to recycling.

They can hold very tight tolerances with proper operation and maintainence. Here are some pictures of a Wire cut object that is 2 pieces and the mating surfaces are spot on. They are not cut together, they are seperately cut. The program has to take into consideration for the wire size and total size of the cut. A .010" tends to cut about .013", .003 overburn. This varies with the material being cut.
Pierre

gf3.jpg gf2.jpg gf1.jpg

T

Tom Griffin

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!

Another big use for wire EDM is making blanking dies. By tilting the wire, a profile can be cut that yields a punch and a die from the same piece of steel. Once the profile is cut, the punch and die are hardened and ground to the desired clearances. The process saves a lot of steel and a lot of time over making the punch and die separately.

Tom

Old Iron

Active User

Looking good Billy, One more good day should finish it up....:biggrin:

Paul

Old Iron

Active User

Don't know bout the other folks but I'm still watching.:biggrin:

Paul

jfcayron

Active User

Yep, wouldn't want to miss any of it!

pdentrem

Active User
Registered

I'am watching too, but have to go to the kitchen from time to time to eat, and work tends to get in the way as well!:biggrin:

[5] [7]