In Search Of Acorns

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
Ladies, & gentlemen,
as the title implies i'm looking for a member who would be willing to send me a couple handfuls of acorns with the caps.
the caps can either attached or loose- as long as they are there is all that matters
i have searched locally, but the turkeys and deer have seemed to have eaten the supply up, around close here.
i was wondering if someone still had some around

i don't want to let the cat out of the bag as to what i'm doing with 'em quite yet,
but i would let the sender know that i would be able to email a USPS label for a small flat rate box.

i would also offer a copy of the abomination of what i am to make from the acorns and caps, as a gratuity, for providing the essential ingredients.

thank you in advance

Admins: If this post appears in the incorrect place-
feel free to move it as you see fit- thank you

Good gosh, I wish I had known earlier Mike! We just had what’s known in the tree world as “a mast year” — or in layman speak an over-the-top bumper crop of acorns. I had to shovel, yes shovel, the roof of my lockup three times a week and on some roads it was like walking on marbles. I’m sure there’s easily fifty or sixty pounds if I look for them but they might be a bit on the soggy side by now. I’m also not sure if I’d be able to send them across the line either so hopefully someone closer will be able to help out. If not though, get back to me and we’ll see if something can be done.

-frank

1638597248264.jpeg

Good gosh, I wish I had known earlier Mike! We just had what’s known in the tree world as “a mast year” — or in layman speak an over-the-top bumper crop of acorns. I had to shovel, yes shovel, the roof of my lockup three times a week and on some roads it was like walking on marbles. I’m sure there’s easily fifty or sixty pounds if I look for them but they might be a bit on the soggy side by now. I’m also not sure if I’d be able to send them across the line either so hopefully someone closer will be able to help out. If not though, get back to me and we’ll see if something can be done.

-frank

View attachment 387284
Much appreciated Frank!
i'm hoping we don't need to import them, i appreciate the offer!

Hey Doc , I'll check around . My mom sold her place which was always loaded yearly , but I have other spots . :) Interestly , I use to grow hundreds of acorns in aquariums for transplanting . They would grow but they would never live after planting in my yards . :cussing:

I have some, the tops come off pretty easily once they are on the ground.
I’ll see what i can find.

-frank

View attachment 387284
Harbinger of the floods you guys are experiencing? Like Doc all our acorns were scarfed up. We have lots of deer that are so plentiful they look like lawn ornaments. Lots of squirrels too.

Just cleaned up and disposed of about ten million of them. I'll see if I can locate any that are salvageable.

Harbinger of the floods you guys are experiencing?
I think more like a reaction to the extreme drought and heat dome we just experienced in the summer. If the trees are stressed and they can set a heavy burden of seed, or that’s what I’ve heard a number of times anyway. We’ve lost two massive ones within six months of each other, both in excess of three feet in diameter at the butt. One just fell over in the dead of night, no wind, no nothing. Crazy, it’s been a wild ride this year. FYI - it’s now snowing outside….

-frank

I started watching the oaks where we lived in the central valley when we started going through multi year droughts. What I was told and what I observed was when we were not going to have rain the oaks were very light on acorns. Then when they would drop a bunch it rained that year. Seemed the more they dropped, the better the rain season.

When we moved to the coast I didn't miss the oaks as they were literally like the sword of Damocles over our heads. One limb weighed a ton. 6wks after we left one limb I had been begging the landlord to take care of fell on what was our bedroom and crushed it flat. Several big limbs fell and one neighbor was almost crushed in her potting shed when a limb crushed the end of it where she had just been seconds before. What I did miss was the 3 big orange trees we had. So I planted an orange tree next to our front door in our courtyard that is it's own micro climate. As here is too cool, but not in the courtyard. But I noticed when the drought was going it would constantly cycle. Never going dormant like in the valley. There is times when there is ripe fruit, little baby oranges and blooms all going 24/7. Then it just stopped and that's when we had rain. Right now it's on it's drought cycle again :(

Back