Incredible video showing 8" artillery shell production for WWI

Harlech

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Sorry if this is not the right forum. Please move if required.

Video Link

One of the things I thought was interesting, is it looked like they were using some type of emulsified cutting fluid.

I can't lie, I fast forwarded, but for how long it took them to make it, they sure shot a hell of a lot more in the time it took to make 1. Impressive, looks like they may have had some good horse power lathes too.

I love the guy pulling the shell out of the lathe @ 14:16. He's wearing a shirt and tie and what looks like a suit jacket. Plus a dress hat!Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 9.39.07 PM.png

My father used to make 60mm (I think) mortar shells in the 60's. He was an engineer and helped setup the production line for Norris Ind in Riverbank Ca. He used to have a 60mm and a 50mm shells (Finished shell without propellant, explosive or detonator). I believe he was in charge of the induction heating they used to harden the shells. He got rid of the shells many years back, I wish he hadn't.

... One of the things I thought was interesting, is it looked like they were using some type of emulsified cutting fluid.
AIUI, this was long before carbide tooling; even before high speed steel. The cutters would be high carbon steel that was hardened and tempered. If the tool bit got above about 400 F, it would draw the temper. I imagine they did a lot of experimentation to figure out just how fast they could push each operation without exceeding the magic temperature threshold!

Craig

Nice pipe bombs they have there. I'm assuming those are steel shell casings? I like the wave-ring part, and the custom taper attachment. My Atlas doesn't have that. I want my money back.

Back