Indexable End Mills

oldesalt

Registered
Registered
I'm planning to purchase an indexable end mill for use in my Seig SX2 mini mill. Seems to me at some time in the past I read that the SX2 can only handle a relatively small diameter end mill. Is there someone out there that can fill me in on the largest diameter they've had success with. Thank you.

My old X2 would struggle with anything over 1/2" end mills cutting steel. Never used index-able ones though. If you do go that route make sure you get positive rake inserts

Hi Bill... Thank you for responding. I was thinking of maybe a 1" to 1 1/2" diameter but if you've found 1/2", which I currently have, is about the limit then I'll be holding off. Happy New Year!

I own and use a 1.25" carbide insert EM on my SX2. It produces a very nice finish on aluminum. Depending on the alloy, It can struggle a bit with steel -- it cuts, but the rest of the mill flexes under the load and produces a poor finish on everything except free machining stuff like 1018. I only take .01" deep cuts at the most when I'm machining steel at full width.

YMMV in this regard. I stiffened up the column with a 1/2" steel plate, replacing the belleville washer as a part of that little project.

1018 isn't really free machining. 12L14 (round and hex bar) and 11L17 (flat bar) are the usual suspects in that regard, but I haven't tried the 11L17 yet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Your post is very encouraging. I may try a 1" diameter EM for use on aluminum and stick to my 1/2" diameter for steel. Not being much into texting acronyms, I had to Google YMMV. That's a good one. Thanks for responding. Happy New Year.
1018 isn't really free machining. 12L14 (round and hex bar) and 11L17 (flat bar) are the usual suspects in that regard, but I haven't tried the 11L17 yet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I graduated from a four year technical high school program as a machinist back in 1960. I went into engineering after just two years of working in the trade. Over the years, I have forgotten so much of what I learned in school, not to mention today's machining technology which I was never exposed to. Being retired, I bought a mini lathe and a mini mill to rekindle my enjoyment of metal working. I'll be visiting this forum frequently to "catch up". Thanks for that useful tip on free machining steel.

Back