Indexable lathe tooling recommendations?

I own tools that use the same insert designations as both of those sets. Borite is a quality tool maker but I much prefer the SCLCX tools that use positive rake inserts. You will only use a few of the tools in the set and I think it is better and probably cheaper to buy quality versions of the SCLCR and SCLCL tool holders. The boring bars are steel and will work well for bore depths within their extension capabilities.

Finster
I only have two types of insert lathe tools
Some ISCAR and many Chinese bought through Alliexpress.
All my tooling is SCLR/L ( CCMT, CCGT insets ) Turning and Boring or SCMT inserts for chamfering ( Not sure of the holder designation)
My observations
If I examine the Iscar against the Chinese with a microscope can I tell a difference - Maybe. The Iscar is finished very well and the insert pocket cradles the insert without any slop.
With regard to the Chinese tool holders the surface finish is different- maybe not be so durable, but the insert pockets are well machined with flat bottoms and close tolerances. They cradle the insert just the same. I have so far had no problems with the supplied insert screws but have read of others complaints.

When using either on the lathe without someone telling me which I was using I can't tell the difference. The difference is in my hip pocket. Buying Chinese has allowed me to purchase all the tool holders I require so I have a seperate holder for all the different Inserts I use - even different nose radii on the inserts. No way could I do this using Iscar or equivalent Tool holders .
But I am only a hobby machinist !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

You can get over size tool holders for your tool post that use 5/8 shank tools. That would open up options.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121595308361?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

View attachment 231777
I don't think that would work for my setup. Unless the bottom of the tool holder is not as thick as the .5" holder. With a .5" tool in the holder. I am only a few thousands below center. .625 would put me way above unless I milled the bottom of the holder which I could do with a cheap China model. I believe my lathe was really set up for .375" tooling but I can make .5" work and like it better.

Finister, I have that PM set and I really like it. It comes with 20 inserts and the 2 of the holders
allow you to utilize the 2 corners of the insert that would normally be unused.

The CCGT inserts really leave a nice surface finish.

Finister, I have that PM set and I really like it. It comes with 20 inserts and the 2 of the holders
allow you to utilize the 2 corners of the insert that would normally be unused.

The CCGT inserts really leave a nice surface finish.
Yea, I liked that about it also. I gave them a call and it's confirmed, that set is made in China. I'm pondering it but I would really like to buy American for this. I may just bite the bullet and buy one piece at a time as I can afford it. I'm still kicking around the idea of this set though. How are the boring bars that come with it Fradish?

I don't think that would work for my setup. Unless the bottom of the tool holder is not as thick as the .5" holder. With a .5" tool in the holder. I am only a few thousands below center. .625 would put me way above unless I milled the bottom of the holder which I could do with a cheap China model. I believe my lathe was really set up for .375" tooling but I can make .5" work and like it better.

Mine the cutting height is the same as my 1/2" tools another words the 1/8" is removed from the bottom where the tool sets.

Mine the cutting height is the same as my 1/2" tools another words the 1/8" is removed from the bottom where the tool sets.
Well gee, thanks for tossing in another variable to ponder! :D Now I might have to get both sizes. Man my wife is going to hate you! :grin big:

I haven't used the boring bars yet, but they look nice, well machined.

Back