Indexing plate vs dividing head

Defanitly interested. How much would you want for it. I just do know how to go about it and never done this before. I am asking a stupid question now,I know I am going to kick myself but what does PM mean:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
The easy way to start a PM/conversation is to hover your mouse pointer over the member's name/handle in blue to the left of these posts. A popup window will open, just click on "start conversation."

Defanitly interested. How much would you want for it. I just do know how to go about it and never done this before. I am asking a stupid question now,I know I am going to kick myself but what does PM mean:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

PM = Private Message = Conversation

Hover your curser over Mark's photo and click on "Start Conversation".

Edit: Looks like Bob's trigger finger is faster than mine.

Collet blocks can also be used in the lathe.

Thanks, I will look into those. This is why it pays to read threads that I don't think directly apply to me, I often learn about things I didn't know to even wonder about..

I agree with Mark's suggestion that for what you want to do, a rotary table with dividing plates would probably be best. I would add one comment to his suggestion. Make sure you get a rotary table that can be mounted both horizontally and vertically. Not all of them can be mounted in both axes.

Ted

Terry,
I read your post about making the knob and your question about how it could be done a little easier. A lot of how to do it depends on the equipment you have available to work with. I can tell you how I would do it presuming that you have a band saw and a 4 jaw chuck for your lathe (could be done on a face plate as well). I would rough cut the piece of aluminum into a square just large enough to allow for machining the OD of the knob. Then chuck that piece into the 4 jaw chuck only deep enough to allow a facing cut to machine your 3/4 x 7/8 hub. Dial the piece both axially and radially so that you have it centered and "flat". Machine the hub and drill and tap the required hole. Now you can remove and reverse the part, holding it by the newly machined hub. You can either do that with the 4 jaw chuck or put on your 3 jaw, collett, or what ever you like and perform all the remaining machining except for the notches. When you have finished all lathe work then you can proceed with machining the notches on the mill as you have outlined. This should eliminate a lot of back and forth between two machines and multiple set-up and removal procedures with the 3 jaw chuck.
Just some food for thought.
Ted

I will give you the dividing head. Also the drive dog bar and draw bar. You would have to get a set of B&S #9 collets to use it with collets. Or make an ER40 collet adapter. Like I said, I don't know what it would cost to get it to you. It is kind of heavy. I am guessing about 10 to 15 pounds. I f you are interested, private message me your complete address and I will try to find out how much it would cost to ship. You would only have to pay the shipping.

Take a look at Oxtool video about modifying a spin indexer so you have finer than one degree increments available. Makes a $50 indexer a lot more useful. BTW the indexer uses 5C collets so you will need some of those also. I have a cheap set of Chinese ones that are good enough for my use. I have added a few with square holes for special jobs. Can use the same 5C collets in the collet chuck on the lathe. Max work size on a 5C is 1 1/8" unless you turn a stub to hold larger work. There are also systems that use ER collets but be careful to always have long enough work in the collet.

I just checked the shipping cost of a 40pound package to South Africa. WOW!!!!! It is almost $1000. WOW!!!!!

This really is crazy the more I think about it. It would then cost more than a new one with a tailstock. Maybe I when I get some time, ( don't know when that will be), I will attempt to build one. Still can't believe it will cost THAT MUCH to ship. But what can you do.

Back