Indexing tool post

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I came across something interesting in a video, a 40 position tool post that is indexable. Does anyone make one for a mini lathe that can be considered?

Mike

Last edited:
I came across something interesting in a video, a 40 position tool post that is indexable. Does anyone make one for a mini lathe that can be considered?

Mike
Mike,

This one looks like it will work with a Mini-Lathe, appears to be reasonable quality (and the lowest cost one I could find):

Aa Multi-Fix Tool Holder Kit.jpeg

Aa Multi-Fix Tool Holder Detailed Dims.jpeg
A quick check of my 7x16 has an "X" dimension of ~17mm, and a 10mm tool holder is about the max that works with my 0XA QCTP. The listing has a bunch of photos and other details. This Seller also has a lot of other Mini-Lathe/Mill parts.

Additional tool holders are ~$35 plus shipping, so a significant investment. Even I can't justify the cost of changing to one of these: I would need at least an additional 7 or 8 tool holders, so a total cost of ~$350. However, If I didn't already have a QCTP, I would probably go this route (I have about that invested in my0XA QCTP and holders (total of 16 holders).

Let us know what you decide,

Charlie

Yeah I hope to find one in a box of junk someday. That’ll be the only way I end up with it. If they can make a whole mini lathe for $800, then they need to improve their processes to makes this price competitive with standard qc tooling in my opinion. I don’t think it’s “better”, but just different.

Yeah I hope to find one in a box of junk someday. That’ll be the only way I end up with it. If they can make a whole mini lathe for $800, then they need to improve their processes to makes this price competitive with standard qc tooling in my opinion. I don’t think it’s “better”, but just different.
Need to compare pricing with the real thing; see post #2, above:

Penn Tool Aa Value Collection.png
And this is in their "Value Collection?

Multiquick is not the real thing either. I don't believe they are made in Switzerland or that any Multifix is . There may be a factory in Europe that produces for AXA or Hahn and Kolb. The different versions are not all completely compatible. You are better staying with one brand as they are usually guaranteed to fit with their post but it is hit or miss with others or with old. The old German and Swiss don't fit perfectly with each other either. The quality differences might be important with the C or D sizes and a 20 hp lathes, but not with smaller machines. Dave

Need to compare pricing with the real thing; see post #2, above:
I don’t guess I understand. Post #2 above is mine. $562 is too much for a tool post for a mini lathe. The one meant for 6-10” machines was 460 something. I can get standard axa qc for a hundred. You can make one for ten. Anyways like I said, I don’t understand what you mean. Lol

I don’t guess I understand. Post #2 above is mine. $562 is too much for a tool post for a mini lathe. The one meant for 6-10” machines was 460 something. I can get standard axa qc for a hundred. You can make one for ten. Anyways like I said, I don’t understand what you mean. Lol
Sorry for any confusion; per the Penn Tools, the Aa kit is for 6" — 10" machines and this part number is what the screenshot shows as being $560. However, the post was in response to @jwmay 's post concerning the cost of the Chinese version in relation to the cost of a Chinese QCTP: I was making the comparison between the Chinese Aa & a European version.

-30-

Back