Indexing tool post

Here is an indexing tool post that will position in five degree increments to get you angles needed in normal turning work such as 15, 30 45 etc and much less expensive:
As much as I enjoy buying tools, @matthewsx said it best in post #3, which can aid in setting at any angle.

As much as I enjoy buying tools, @matthewsx said it best in post #3, which can aid in setting at any angle.
Don’t get me wrong, if I had a nice vintage machine and plenty of cash I’d definitely consider the multifix. There are likely things it can do that I can’t even yet appreciate.

But for a minilathe, there are many other things that will probably make more of a difference for a beginner to buy.

Truth is, as has been pointed out all the toolpost does is present the cutting tool to the work. I started with a lantern and am glad I did. Probably won’t ever go back but I keep it just in case there’s a setup that needs it sometime in the future.

Modern QCTP’s work well and for most folks the cheap imports are just fine. By the time you get to a lathe that will challenge the rigidity of an OXA or AXA you’ll know what you need anyway.

Best thing about these is the cheap tool holders so you can set them up with various grinds/inserts for quick swaps. Hard to have too many.

John

My opinions on this topic are pretty soft I guess. But just sort of as a possible suggestion, there’s this.

The indexer is something that a Hobby-Machinist can make at low cost. It simply attaches to the side of the quick change tool post and doesn't change the center height.

Back