Indicating a long part vertical in the mill

ddmunroe

Active User
Registered
Hi,
Hope I can get input on how to accurately indicate a face vertical in the mill. I'm looking for .001 max over a 400mm face parallel to the quill

The face is 400mm long and it needs to be vertical in order for me to machine a counter bore for a bearing in it's end.

The quill has a travel of approx 160mm.

I would like to get a reading over that distance from an indicator.
Input appreciated
:thinking:

Uhm… 400 mm is a lot.
I think you have enough clearance in your mill, or this would be just an academic question :)
What about placing the piece horizontal, so it can have a more rigid holding, and turning the mill head 90°?

Good point Marco I might have to do that. I'd still like to know how the other way is done though thank's

Hard to say exactly without seeing the part, but if the head is dialed in well you should be able to put a magnetic base on the quill and run it in and out to indicate the surface, with the quill lightly locked to eliminate any play, that's if I'm understanding what your doing:thinking:

I think Marco has the best idea so far (wish I thought of it...). If you try to do it vertically, you will have issues with support. You also only have 160mm of travel. If your indicator with do 0.0005 (mm?), then you should get the approximate accuracy you are looking for IFF your head is accurately trammed, AND your quill is true. You could try using the knee, which may give you more travel (assuming this is a knee mill), but then you have the same issue with needing to be dead with respect to tramming.

If you did it like marco suggests, you could lay the part on the table in V blocks (if round) or on parallels/machinist jacks if prismatic. Fine adjustments will be easier, and the result will be more reliable. You will need a pretty good quality angle plate to tram in the head when you kick it over 90 degrees.

I think Marco has the best idea so far (wish I thought of it...). If you try to do it vertically, you will have issues with support. You also only have 160mm of travel. If your indicator with do 0.0005 (mm?), then you should get the approximate accuracy you are looking for IFF your head is accurately trammed, AND your quill is true. You could try using the knee, which may give you more travel (assuming this is a knee mill), but then you have the same issue with needing to be dead with respect to tramming.

If you did it like marco suggests, you could lay the part on the table in V blocks (if round) or on parallels/machinist jacks if prismatic. Fine adjustments will be easier, and the result will be more reliable. You will need a pretty good quality angle plate to tram in the head when you kick it over 90 degrees.

With the head 90* you could put and indicator in the quill and indicate on the table as you run the quill in and out. Or bore using just x axis, not moving the quill. No direct experience there, just ideas.

chuck up a 4-500mm length of drill rod, and eyeball it with feeler gauges?

Cheers Phil

Ooh, ooh, if you had or made a 400 mm parallel you could affix it to your work and indicate over that in a vertical set up.

Cheers,

I'll have to do it horizontal as issues with vibration may occur, unfortunately my 90 degree drive head's draw bar threads are buggered being hardened a new tap will not clear the damaged threads.
Vertical will attract vibration issues as pointed out.
The only way I can think if it had to be done vertical would be to use the knee ways and inside mic off that to the part, bit of a long drawn out process. Horizontal is quicker with the 90 drive head.
Have to sort that out now. I prefer not to kick over the head in this case
I like the drill rod idea too :thumbzup3:

I say attach a indicator to the head and run the knee up and down. That's how I do it though it takes a lot of cranky cranking.

Back