Indicator Sag: How Do You Deal With This?

Disingenuous was a bad choice of word.
I only meant to say that the experiment didn't show the mag base in another configuration.
It would have been nice to see a demo on how it should be done to minimize error.
He also mentioned the Blake co ax, especially when using the long stem.
I would also like to know which DTI's are best. I guess I'll just find out for myself through
trial and error.

I'm too cheap to buy Interapid's. I use Brown & Sharpe's for measuring .0001" and .00005". And Starrett for the rest. The B & S's that I have pretty much stay on the surface plates or in their boxes when not being used. Oh, I also have a couple Federals that I use around the machines when needed.

I got off subject a little, Sorry...

OK, I watched the video and didn't find anything new: gravity is a *****. First off, the only ones indicating a hole in a circular motion on the horizontal plain are on horizontal boring mills. Having run one for 6+ years my first reaction was "who in their right mind would use a side dial indicator like that?" I suppose if I were stuck on a desert island with a machine shop and only one indicator and a mag base I would. The majority of people in a shop are going to be indicating vertically like in a Bridgeport spindle where gravity is equal all around the hole. Side dial indicators are for working in the horizontal, not traming holes IMO. It's not news that using too long of a tip in an indicator not designed for the extra length exponentially changes the needle movement. While he was at it he should have mentioned the proper tip angle for an accurate reading.

Obviously he didn't intend to teach indicator etiquette, someone just recorded the speech and dropped it n the net where it was taken out of context.

I've been wondering if this would turn up here.

Use an indicator in one position relative to gravity. You can rotate it around a vertical shaft, but not a horizontal one.

In the last century, in the automotive industry, I had a job re-aligning two opposing boring heads. The two heads were mounted on bearing blocks 8" square and 30 inches long, hydraulically moved fore and aft. The part, a brake disk, was mounded in a collet for machining the bearing diameters and seats. Each boring head machined one side. (Inside and outside) Tolerance was Mount the disc between bearings, the disc shouldn't run out more than .0030. Engineering had determined that one of the bearing bores was misaligned, it was my job (over Christmas vacation, at triple time). I wound up building an indicator holder out of 6 inch bar stock, two feet long, to reach from one head to the other. (The collet was removed to allow more easy access to the two boring heads). I screwed an indicator to the end of the 2 foot bar, and had no difficulty aligning the two heads in X, horizontal position. Part of the problem was that to check alignment, it meant tearing down my set up, putting the machine back together and cycling one part. Of course the part had to be carefully marked so I'd know what I was accomplishing. I finally determined that the 6" dia. two foot long bar sagged .002 at the end. I had to put it out of alignment in Y (Vertically) by those .002 to get two bores concentric.
Subsequent to this I made a solidly mounted indicator on a steel bar, not magnetic attachment, and by turning it upside down could illustrate as much as .007 'sag.' I could not couple it in any way to totally eliminate 'sag.'

Sounds like using a laser to align non-vertical equipment is the way to go. At least the light beam is much less effected by gravity. Either that or hang a lathe vertical to align the spindle with the tail stock for instance.:grin:

Last edited:
Those things didn't exist in the 80's and 90's when I was on a DeVlieg! :alien:

I occasionally had a job that required boring a 16" diameter hole trough two sides of a cast iron press bed that required all 20" of my spindle travel with a 68 pound boring head on it's end. I can't recall anymore how much I had to raise the Z to finish the rear hole to be in line with the front. The only saving grace was that back then there wasn't even a good way for anyone to inspect it. :grin big:

Sounds like using a laser to align non-vertical equipment is the way to go. At least he light beam is much less effected by gravity. Either that or hang a lathe vertical to align the spindle with the tail stock for instance.:grin:

Yeah you have to be carful with light too, it gets bent by gravity, to be fair though not a lot :)

Stuart

A tapered hollow inside hole may have eliminated some of the flex due to gravity on your indicator holder, the diameter and cross section needs to get thinner so it is lighter at the end. They talk about this and test bars in the Connelly book....Tim

Back