Indicators

Get an indicol knockoff from Ebay. When it comes mic the rods and get some drill rod in that size and cut to length as needed. Same with magnetic bases. The drill rod has saved my bacon plenty of times.

Charles, I got the rest of your post but you completely lost me with this line. I Googled Indicol, they make a ton of test/measurement stuff. Sounds like you are talking about a gage set. Could you elaborate a bit? I'm here to learn!

-Dave

Real Indicol: https://www.ebay.com/itm/INDICOL-1-...137143&hash=item41f41d9ab6:g:zJ8AAOSwbiFZUVAA

Knockoff: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-...011263?hash=item443af687bf:g:i10AAOSwAjpbxGaq

Go to Ebay and goggle Indicol and separately dial indicators and you will find plenty of listings. I have 2 of the knockoffs now with indicators set at different angles. Believe me after your first couple of setups, you will have a whole wishlist of bases and holders. Best bet is to watch the prominent Youtube Guys and watch how they set things up. As Jbobb 1 above, I use indicol and .0001 dial test Indicator to tram vise and set small surfaces to perfect alignment to spindle. I use the 1/2" bent round bar and a .0001 dial indicator to tram the table. Mitutoyo I think. By the way you will notice a lot of Shars showing up with the Youtube guys.

The guys on this forum are real good at helping. I use them all the time. Charles

Real Indicol: https://www.ebay.com/itm/INDICOL-1-...137143&hash=item41f41d9ab6:g:zJ8AAOSwbiFZUVAA
. . . .
The guys on this forum are real good at helping. I use them all the time. Charles

Ah, it wasn't at all clear to me that you were talking about a universal indicator holder. What you are suggesting is to make up a set of extra (longer) rods (from drill rod) for more sweep. Got it.

And yes, this is a great forum. I've already picked up a bunch of info since joining early this year when I finally got a mill.

I think I'l get one of those holders. I've been making do with indicator attachment that came with my wiggler, along with other add-hoc methods of holding an indicator or dial gage.

-Dave B

I've made it 6 years using only a .0005" DTI. I have a 12x36 lathe and a G0704. It is a Fowler swiss type DTI with extended range (2 dials) which I would highly recommend paying extra for. The double range helps make it a lot more useful.

Edit: Noga style universal indicator stands and a flexible centering arm are my most used holders.

Looking for the indicator HOLDER that clamps onto the mill spindle, and just one thumscrew tightens all three joints at once. Can't find them on MSCDirect, or a google search.

Thanks!
Greg

Go back a couple of posts at look at the link for Indicol and knockoff. That is the one that clamps to spindle with just a thumb screw. Been using them for years . Sorry! That only clamps one at a time. Missed that on your post.

Wow, lots of great advice.
Thank you, everyone.

Mike.

Thanks, I'll give this one a try and see how I like it.

That's what I use most of the time but it mounts in a collet. The shank is 8mm which I got tired of so I made a 1/2" shank for it.

But to meet what you were looking for, I adapted a Noga to mount on an Indicol knock off. I got the idea from Tom Lipton.

20200513_161123.jpg

Back