Indicol #178 and PM25

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking to speed up alignment of my vice and work clamped to the table on my PM25 mill.

I'm thinking of purchasing an Indicol #178 to clamp on the spindle. I measured my spindle and it is about 1.710" in diameter.

My Starrett Last Word DTI's shaft is about 0.187" in diameter.

Will the Indicol #187 work with this setup?

Thanks!

In my work/life I've made two or three, just bore a piece of alumlinum to fit the quill, cut a slit in it, install a cap screw tiotighten it, and a shaft to mount the indicator on. Why buy when you can make?

Save your money. Buy the $10 knockoffs from Ebay. Then replace the set screws. Next, get some drill rod 1/4" and I think .187, will have to measure mine if you want. Look at the knockoffs and see if they grab by the dovetail. If so then it will work. If not you will need to get some adapters/holders to convert from DTI to rod on holder. The drill rods are cut to length as you need them. The holder may work like a charm on a measurement and be an inch too short for the next. You will find all sorts of uses for this setup. I have two of them, one set up permanently, the other in pieces for odd measurements. Also use the drill rods with magnetic base. Nothing says you can't take a piece of key stock and drill two holes in it to fit holder and DTI. drill cross holes and thread. Use you imagination.
Look at turning some round stock down to fit endmill holder and DTI. I have 3/8", 1/2" & 5/8" turned down to I think 1/4". Slap it into end mill holder and clamp DTI or Dial Indicator.
Nothing at all wrong with your pick. Just for the same amount of money, you can end up with a versatile setup.

Correction. The drill rod is 1/4" & .233". Both holders have a dove tail notch and a hole that will accommodate .155" dovetail holder. You will need to get 1/4" X 1/4" adapter. Around $10 -12 from memory. Tom's method is also popular. You can drill the shaft holes on different angles.

I could make, but I already have a bunch of projects lined up. I've read the cheap ones aren't rigid enough although the mods mentioned might be an option.

Believe me, you will have more problems with the spindle turning then with the holder.

I could make, but I already have a bunch of projects lined up. I've read the cheap ones aren't rigid enough although the mods mentioned might be an option.

The real ones aren't that much better IMO, the arm is not that rigid. Not sure about the older black ones, I purchased the red & blue one, I was not impressed. It's good enough though but wasn't worth the price to me. I returned it, purchased a $10 import clone & attached a Noga articulating arm to it.

Check out the one by Edge Technology Products, they look nice. I have not used one but I have been happy with every product I have purchased from them.

So, maybe I should pass on this?

I just want something that's quick that doesn't require breaking down my setup.

You will need the Indicol or equivilent sometime in the future. What we are saying is that there is not a great big difference in quality between brand name and knockoff. I opted for the knockoff and then bought additional stuff to make it more useful. When you try to dial in angles, recesses and holes, you will see what I mean. Sometimes a rod 2" longer changes the angle of measurement to make it easier. Sometimes you really need to choke up on a shorter rod or eliminate one part of the linkage. These are not rock solid, but still do a pretty good job.

The real ones aren't that much better IMO, the arm is not that rigid. Not sure about the older black ones, I purchased the red & blue one, I was not impressed. It's good enough though but wasn't worth the price to me. I returned it, purchased a $10 import clone & attached a Noga articulating arm to it.

Check out the one by Edge Technology Products, they look nice. I have not used one but I have been happy with every product I have purchased from them.

I have had the same experiences as Will. If I was going to do it again, I would opt for the Edge Technology stuff.

Back