Industrail hobbies mill motor death

minsk

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
i have a ih600 industrial hobbies mill. it is aweseome. It is new to me. Everything was working fine. Today i do 6 light face mill cuts...prlly like a though or 2 deep. they came out awesome... After the process i turned off the mill. Walked way. Then i smelled smoke. I tunred around to see light smoke coming off the motor. I can still tunr it on...it spins very slow. Im thinking dead motor or run capacitor. Any thoughts are welcomed.

If a capacitor failed there should be visual signs; liquid coming out and possible bulging- if not then a winding must have shorted in the motor, that would not be fixable in most cases
Does this motor have 1 capacitor or 2? How many horsepower and what voltage are you running it on?

When motors of 1 HP or more are run on 120 volts sometimes there is enough voltage drop in the house wiring that the motor strains and overheats

Last edited:
fixed...gear
controlled..

If a capacitor failed there should be visual signs; liquid coming out and possible bulging- if not then a winding must have shorted in the motor, that would not be fixable in most cases
Does this motor have 1 capacitor or 2? How many horsepower and what voltage are you running it on?
it looked like gear oil was leaking under the motor.

Hmm- might be a cap then. I believe those have 2 caps: a start cap and a run cap so the run cap might have failed
Look under the cap covers and see what you find
Post some pics if you can

Last edited:
no pics...there was what looked like oil leaking from the base...not a capacitor leak.....the motor is on top of the mill like a precision matthews

it looked like gear oil was leaking under the motor.
ill get some pics tomrrow...hoping that is all it is..thats simple fix...just got this mill and it was running awesome

Back