Inexpensive float lock vise addition

Winegrower

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I recently got a Rockwell EFI drill press, that is really a beast. I adapted a Bridgeport X-axis power feed for a table lift, and acquired a Heinrich quick acting vise that is very smooth and effective. But the drill press is quite powerful with a wide speed range, and I also got a bunch of large taper drills, so I've been punching 1" and bigger holes in 1" plate for fun. I see that in these cases the torque transmitted to the vise requires the vise to be held down, and while the table has T-slots the same size as the Bridgeport table, my vise bolt bosses don't really match the table spacing, nor really, could they. So I added a ground stainless rod out of an old printer, bolted it to the vise, and made a lock in the style of something I saw on Blondiehacks. For optimal positioning, the lock pivot point really wants to be centered off the table, and fortunately the Rockwell EFI has some vertical T-slots on one edge of the table...so easy to add an extension to hold the lock.

I have been impressed how well this works, and I can position the vise under the spindle anywhere within the approximately 6" x 6" envelope of the vise, and of course lots of room for parts hanging outside the vise outline. It's so quick, just put the part in the vise, slide the movable jaw snug, throw the vise lock handle to lock the part in, slide the vise over the table to line up the drill spot under the spindle, tighten the lock bolt (This needs to be a handle...I'll get to that...soon...maybe) and the vise is locked in place tightly. Of course the movable jaw is still free to open and shut without perturbing the vise position, so for repeated parts, no problem.

I have a spare X-Axis power feed that I'm thinking about adding to the entire movable head, the same way the table adjusts...but that seems a bit like wretched excess. But it would be the first on the block, for sure.

IMG_3718.jpeg

That is a good idea.
I have two of those Heinrich vises.
Love the things.
I also have a Wahlstrom float lock - now built by Eagle Rock in PA. that I bought new.
I have thought about doing similar to what you did - add the float lock feature to a Heinrich.
But I am loathe to drill or modify a Heinrich.
What I would do is make a plate out of say, 10 ga (or maybe 1/4") and bolt the Heinrich to that using the normal hold down slots. Then add the float lock rod to the plate.
PS,
After having had a couple of belt drive "woodworking" drill presses in the past and then getting a metalworking drill press I understand the joy of easily drilling 1" holes in 1" plate :)

Last edited:
But I am loathe to drill or modify a Heinrich.
Yep, a good point, and I considered that. But it was only two 1/4-20 blind holes into a thick part of the casting, and I'll never try to sell this vise. I was more concerned about modifying the drill press, so avoided any modification to the table for the lock. support. And I can restore the table lift mechanism exactly with all factory parts.

"What I would do is make a plate out of say, 10 ga (or maybe 1/4") and bolt the Heinrich to that using the normal hold down slots. Then add the float lock rod to the plate."

Yes, I considered that as well...practically, it's pretty heavy as is, a big plate would have to cover the whole outline of the vise and be heavier, and I didn't have a plate that size anyway, But that would certainly work. Maybe even better, as it could be even more rigid than the rod.

Last edited:
The float lock radius rod is brilliant. I also have a Wahlstrom, and I'm fond of how it works, but I use the vise more. That's the best of both worlds. Great tip!

Back