Info and parts needed for logan 912 11" lathe

eweissman

Registered
Registered
recently acquired a logan 912 in pieces at an estate sale very cheaply. was mostly complete and having assembled it, i am missing a few small pieces and a few bits of information. The spindle seems to be missing two washers, part number LA-1016. i believe they are cone shaped washers that help preload the back spindle bearing. below is a link to a google photos album with a few pictures of the spindle. can't seem to find them on the logan actuator site. also not sure entirely how to remove spindle, though i can probably find some howto's on youtube. i have the spindle gear and spacer and take up nut off already.
spindle had a bit of play at rear spindle bearing which the take up nut did not seem to fix even when tightened.
hopefully i can find some of these washers
thanks
-eian

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zJTgA8uJWv2LNFPB8IMG_1993.JPG

I am aware that you can buy bellville washers, i just don’t know which of the varieties that are available are appropriate for this application. There’s like ten different options for sale there, and i don’t have anything to compare to.

I would start by calling Logan and asking if they can supply them.

On the 10" Logans, the nut on the back side of the spindle (gear train end) does not adjust the bearings: it simply
locates them on the spindle. There is no adjustment available. I believe the 11" machines are the same. The
"adjustment" comes from the preload inside the bearings. Logan can clarify that for you as well.

I would start by calling Logan and asking if they can supply them.

On the 10" Logans, the nut on the back side of the spindle (gear train end) does not adjust the bearings: it simply
locates them on the spindle. There is no adjustment available. I believe the 11" machines are the same. The
"adjustment" comes from the preload inside the bearings. Logan can clarify that for you as well.
This may be wrong information, but i think i read that the rear bearing on the 11” lathe is a sliding fit in the headstock casting and needs preload from the take up nut and Belleville washers. But i am not certain of that. Inquiries to the Official Logan e-mail group have been met with the reply “that will be $230 for four Belleville washers”. And my further questioning was met with long emails telling me i should just pay $230 for four Belleville washers and that i should be thankful that i can just buy four Belleville washers for $230. I guess i missed the disclaimer telling me that their forum is just A grumpy advertising redirect for lathe.com. I emailed Logan directly and the only reply i got was an invoice for $230. So not sure I’m really going to get the help there that i was hoping for. Maybe i shouldn’t be asking the fox to help me repair the henhouse? I didn’t think i was out of line asking questions like that...?

What you seem to really need is to understand how the spindle goes together. I would call Logan and speak with Scott
Logan to make sure that's clarified. The other question I would want to answer is whether you have
the correct bearings. If the washers are missing, there may be other problems. Scott is good about providing information
when it's needed: just avoid complaining about his parts prices...

there is a set on mcmaster carr, 55.5 mm id, 74.5 mm OD. seems very close to the originals, they were $15 for four of them.
will report back if they do the trick. thanks for the replies.

This may be wrong information, but i think i read that the rear bearing on the 11” lathe is a sliding fit in the headstock casting and needs preload from the take up nut and Belleville washers. But i am not certain of that. Inquiries to the Official Logan e-mail group have been met with the reply “that will be $230 for four Belleville washers”. And my further questioning was met with long emails telling me i should just pay $230 for four Belleville washers and that i should be thankful that i can just buy four Belleville washers for $230. I guess i missed the disclaimer telling me that their forum is just A grumpy advertising redirect for lathe.com. I emailed Logan directly and the only reply i got was an invoice for $230. So not sure I’m really going to get the help there that i was hoping for. Maybe i shouldn’t be asking the fox to help me repair the henhouse? I didn’t think i was out of line asking questions like that...?
Some of the information on bearings and float was just covered on that form by Scott. But, IMHO, it is out of line to ask Scott for free information on products he sells. A business isn't obligated to provide you anything at a discount. We all make judgments on greed vs. "enlightened self interest." You believe you are owed the information you need for free. Scott believes he needs to sell it with a set of washers. Vote with your feet because you think he has crossed the line into greed and use the best information you can get at a cost that's acceptable to you. Too easy. In fact one member provided a link to an excellent source of free information on Bellevue washers. Look at the drawing and it might be possible to determine the correct orientation. Then you can share what you learn. But there may be reasons others believe it's worth buying the information. Perhaps "lessons learned."

Ron

Some of the information on bearings and float was just covered on that form by Scott. But, IMHO, it is out of line to ask Scott for free information on products he sells. A business isn't obligated to provide you anything at a discount. We all make judgments on greed vs. "enlightened self interest." You believe you are owed the information you need for free. Scott believes he needs to sell it with a set of washers. Vote with your feet because you think he has crossed the line into greed and use the best information you can get at a cost that's acceptable to you. Too easy. In fact one member provided a link to an excellent source of free information on Bellevue washers. Look at the drawing and it might be possible to determine the correct orientation. Then you can share what you learn. But there may be reasons others believe it's worth buying the information. Perhaps "lessons learned."

Ron
I don’t think you are completely wrong, and i don’t really think they are trying to take advantage of me. It was just confusing to get so much vitriol from them for asking a question. I started very clearly that i intend to buy parts, but that i couldn’t afford those parts. But i received a couple of long, condescending messages Explaining lengthily about how i clearly don’t understand how business works. I don’t owe them my business, it just seemed like unduly angry response to a fairly innocent question. Can you explain why it is justified to charge 1500% markup on a part that seems to usually cost $7. Maybe there’s something im missing, maybe it really did cost them a Heck of a lot to commission a custom run of Belleville washers to exacting specs. It was surprising, and so was the severity of the response. I wrote what i wrote above in reaction to the multiple angry responses i got after asking a question on the forum, not because i am offended that Logan sells a service to customers. You don’t really have all the context here.

Turns out the bellevill washers were there, but because they were installed backwards i couldn’t really see them well and they weren’t doing their job. Took spindle apart, cleaned and reassembled correctly. Seems to have taken the play out of the assembly. Bearings actually felt pretty good. Also drilled holes in the face of the take up nut so that i could tighten it with a pin Spanner. Using a piece of a carpenters shim as a wedge to hold spindle in place while tightening was pretty effective. The plastic carpenters shims i have have little serrations on the back that mesh well with the teeth of the bull gear. Also a pic of my home made brackets to mount the motor counter shaft assembly. Thanks for the info folks.
85C2CF02-4D8F-4162-9CB1-A5A6CA3CB5C7.jpeg

Attachments

• E0C5084F-89DE-4131-AF74-A8C4B132A36A.jpeg
    E0C5084F-89DE-4131-AF74-A8C4B132A36A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • DC94C27E-268C-4D8D-8319-3267A2F7A4E1.jpeg
    DC94C27E-268C-4D8D-8319-3267A2F7A4E1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • CC24AFE9-87C7-44FE-AD6F-CD2AFA5CD663.jpeg
    CC24AFE9-87C7-44FE-AD6F-CD2AFA5CD663.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • A0E72365-1DAF-4B11-AFB4-66F84D83FE61.jpeg