Info needed for installing/setting up pm940m

Cool, I think I will master this one as a DRO Is out of the question for a little bit.
There are tricks you can use with the lathe and dial indicators, on a mill though a good DRO is a good thing to have.

Finally put the milling machine to the garage

Attachments

• IMG_4002.jpeg
    IMG_4002.jpeg
    456.1 KB · Views: 44
Getting closer.

I hope you have plans on a better floor for the mill to sit on.

Suggestion 1 - pour a concrete floor.

Suggestion 2 - pour a level 4' square pad of concrete 4" thick where the mill will live.

Suggestion 3 - level out the dirt where it is going to live. Buy some 1' square x 1.5 or larger paving stones and make a pad for the mill to sit on. Try to get the 4 corners of the base to sit in the middle of the paving stone.

Make some leveling pads on your new lathe out of some 2" dia steel x 1.5" thick, and some leveling bolts & nuts out of 3/4 or 7/8 bolts 3 inches long.

Screenshot 2023-11-18 123127.png

Yes it makes it higher up, and that will make cleaning out from under easier.

Last edited:
I typed Lathe, I meant Mill for the leveling pads. You will likely want to invest in a bigger table for the lathe. A tool chest is a good option.

Surface for your lathe, holds all your machining tools. I had my Smithy on a 60" bottom chest for a season. Lifted it up to put some blocks under it and get it off the wheels. Nice and solid, moveable when I needed to move it.

Yea it’s gravel underneath we leveled the wood pieces. Will pour concrete next spring. And will make the lathe a new concrete table

thoughts about the moving of the milling machine.

1. Unless you got a very good concrete floor you should really think about repair/doing a concrete floor or use plywood over the gravel/dirt and be ready to hire two big gorillas and a lot of leverage when hitting the edges. a minimum of two guys.

2. It’s not light or medium. It’s heavy stuff that willl kill if at the slightest mistake.

3. Listen to the guys here they know the deal. I listened and it payed well as it was very very difficult to push and lift the legs to pass small bits of dirt at the same time and not give the machine an impulse to rock.

Bottom line watch/listen for experience as much as possible. The final height is ~7 feet without leveling pads and we left 6 feet on the x axis for movement and about 16” from behind. Don’t use the ratchet strap. The guys here recommended against it and now I know why. This machine is heavy if you give it a impulse even small and then it stops suddenly when hitting a pebble or edge, it might break them and you in half. When sitting it on the legs of the engine crane use thick dense wood and make it like a floor.

I used the hf 6300 lbs lifting straps they fit the engine crane hook but I had to push them in place

It’s heavy big and super nice. I already love it. Compared to the pm1030v lathe, the lathe looks smallish. I got some 10awg cord to make the extension about 30 feet from the basement to the garage.

thoughts about the moving of the milling machine.

1. Unless you got a very good concrete floor you should really think about repair/doing a concrete floor or use plywood over the gravel/dirt and be ready to hire two big gorillas and a lot of leverage when hitting the edges. a minimum of two guys.

2. It’s not light or medium. It’s heavy stuff that willl kill if at the slightest mistake.

3. Listen to the guys here they know the deal. I listened and it payed well as it was very very difficult to push and lift the legs to pass small bits of dirt at the same time and not give the machine an impulse to rock.

Bottom line watch/listen for experience as much as possible. The final height is ~7 feet without leveling pads and we left 6 feet on the x axis for movement and about 16” from behind. Don’t use the ratchet strap. The guys here recommended against it and now I know why. This machine is heavy if you give it a impulse even small and then it stops suddenly when hitting a pebble or edge, it might break them and you in half. When sitting it on the legs of the engine crane use thick dense wood and make it like a floor.

I used the hf 6300 lbs lifting straps they fit the engine crane hook but I had to push them in place

It’s heavy big and super nice. I already love it. Compared to the pm1030v lathe, the lathe looks smallish. I got some 10awg cord to make the extension about 30 feet from the basement to the garage.
When I leveled the old house years ago I put blocks and pads under it, the concrete pads are 18"x18"x4"thk, it might help if you picked up 4 of these and set the mill on them. I did not realize you did not have a concrete floor or I would have suggested that earlier.

I planned to lay concrete on the garage before ordering the mill but cold settled and need to wait till spring. The garage floor is compacted gravel so it’s solid. The only issue was leveling. I use a bit of finer gravel and leveled the wood pieces then put the base on top. Will recheck it in a month or soo and look at it again. In spring will fix it.

I tried the mini excavator and use it for moving but too much jerking. Now I know I need to come up with a somehow motorized contraption to move/lift heavy weights around, but a project for later. The good thing is I am learning new stuff. That’s important and having fun.

Guys how do I oil the the z and y axis

Attachments

• 72287528636__26772500-7385-48D5-BD22-691833FDC547.MOV
    3.8 MB
Back