Information needed on a Sidney 14" lathe

rancher2013

Registered
Registered
New to this site and machining, I purchased a 1943 Sidney 14" lathe, lot No 140 serial no 7470. my problem is the motor nameplate is unreadable for the most part, it has a Westinghouse motor that I'm sure is original. I know its wired for 240v 3Ph, does anyone know for sure how many H.P. this lathe is? I need to purchase a Rotary Phase Converter to get it operational. Thanks!

7-1/2 HP would be a Conservative answer. It could be a 5HP motor, too. Can you read the amp rating on the name plate? That would be almost a dead giveaway.

7-1/2 HP would be a Conservative answer. It could be a 5HP motor, too. Can you read the amp rating on the name plate? That would be almost a dead giveaway.
the amp rating is 8.8 amps at 220 volts, I don't think it would be over 5 hp.

My book is saying the motor is less than 3 HP! That's awful light for a 14" Sidney lathe. You sure it's set up for 220V? and not 440V?

The shop I bought the lathe from purchased it new in 1943, they have been in business since 1927. they confirmed it was running and wired for 220 v. motor is 1150 rpm.

With the lower RPM, that would make it a 2 HP motor pulling 8.8 amps at full load at 220V!.

Ken

Post some pictures of the lathe. We like to see old stuff! Ken

Nice looking Lathe Rancher 2013. Something to think about with the rotary phase converter is to buy a bigger unit, say 10 hp. Then when you find other machines you will not need to upgrade. Mill, shaper, surface grinder, band saw, 2nd lathe. The list is endless Lol.:big grin:

Back