Information on a ball turner for Grizzly G0602Z

Chris_Taylor

Registered
Registered
Can anyone help I have a Grizzly G0602Z lathe the wife bought me for Christmas and I need to turn some radius’s and concave stuff I order to make some things for projects. I tried a OMW radius tool and it was a flop as it was made of aluminum and was way to flimsy. I al looking to buy a radius tool that will work on the lathe that is already built. Any suggestions?

I’m not familiar OMW radius tool, but is it like this type?
1609992821553.jpeg

I’m not familiar OMW radius tool, but is it like this type?
View attachment 350215
No it is one that fits into the tool holder. It is aluminum and it is way to flimsy. I have been looking at some videos and I am thinking about one of those that use a boring head. I need to find plans for something or one that is already made.

They are pretty simple to make. I don't even think I drew up plans, just eyeball engineering:

I think the ball turner shown in post #2 is a good buy. If you had to buy material for the base, main body and sliding tool holder and the handle then machine the three pieces you would have more time and cost than the 50 or 60 bucks it sells for. I have made my own ball turners and they work fine. Google ball turner Jimsehr to see a simple one I made. Also you can not cut a full hemispherical concave radius with this type ball turner or a boring head type ball turner. I made a simple one that cuts by swinging the radius from the inside of the part. To cut a mold for a cannon ball toy.
Jimsehr

I think the ball turner shown in post #2 is a good buy. If you had to buy material for the base, main body and sliding tool holder and the handle then machine the three pieces you would have more time and cost than the 50 or 60 bucks it sells for. I have made my own ball turners and they work fine. Google ball turner Jimsehr to see a simple one I made. Also you can not cut a full hemispherical concave radius with this type ball turner or a boring head type ball turner. I made a simple one that cuts by swinging the radius from the inside of the part. To cut a mold for a cannon ball toy.
Jimsehr
I concur. The thing I don't like about any kind of ball turner that clamps into a tool post is overhang. And I also needed to be able to do concave and convex which the boring head can't do easily. I ended up using Jere Kirkpatrick's design for my 9x20 which is like the pic I posted. Works good.

C-bag look at the one I made on you tube the tool has zero clearance.
Just a straight up round carbide rod. I made it just to see if it would work.
It also works on steel.
Jimsehr

I've made one the same style as C-bag posted and found it very usable, even doing stainless on my little Myford. You don't beat it for rigidity.

C-bag look at the one I made on you tube the tool has zero clearance.
Just a straight up round carbide rod. I made it just to see if it would work.
It also works on steel.
Jimsehr
Very cool, not seen that wrinkle on the cutter. I have a spare head for my turner so I could easily adapt it to take that style cutter. That way the radius would be adjustable. I made mine to be able to make different roll die's for my bead roller.

C-Bag search out hemispherical radius cutter jimsehr on this site and you can see
tool for cutting concave radius from inside part.
Jimsehr

Last edited:
Back