Insert Holder Recommendation

If you wish to use a 3/4" holder, take a look at this one as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TOOLMEX...070259?hash=item4d1ffbb0b3:g:KhcAAOSwFAZTsaiX

This is the 3/4" version of the tools Dan recommended. This tool will both face and turn without reorienting the tool and uses CCMT and CCGT 431/432 inserts. These tools will probably work better than the older TPMX type tools as the inserts have a positive geometry. Download the insert catalog from Seco or Iscar or Korloy and determine which grade, nose radius and chipbreaker you want to try and look for them on ebay to save costs.

I'm not aware of anyone who sells HSS inserts for this size of tool. If you go with 1/2" tools then AR Warner will have them. You might call them to see if they have HSS inserts for 3/4" tools - never know.

You can always grind HSS tools for much less than inserted tools will cost you. 3/4" HSS blanks are not cheap but one tool will last you many years with care and they will work well on your lathe - something to consider.

Thanks guys. I think i am on my way. Ill keep the 1/2" holders and just ordered some CCMW bits from ARWarenco.

You may need to use a shim or spacer with 1/2" tooling in CXA holders to get the correct cutting height, standard for these holders is usually 3/4". The 1/2" should work just fine for the Hp you are driving it with. One advantage of the 3/4" size when using carbide inserts is that they are much more common in this size and usually less expensive. I would agree with mikey, I have a slightly smaller lathe with BXA holders and my primary go to insert is the CCMT/CCGT in a 331 or 332 sizing. They seem to hold up quite well. I use a series of different inserts depending on the material/cutting, so is you are switching back and forth with materials or rough to finish, it may pay to have other holders with different inserts. All is good, and great that you are up and running.

You may need to use a shim or spacer with 1/2" tooling in CXA holders to get the correct cutting height
Leave the spacers/shims with the tools if possible, if this is not easily done, when using a QCTP , use whatever method you like to center a tool, measure with a 64 ths scale rule from the ways to this height and set all tools there, this will be more than sufficiently accurate, write this dimension on the front of the lathe for the next tool setup.

The main advantage of a QCTP (aside from the ability of using an infinite number of tools) rather a then a 4 way is easy height adjustment.

I realize that many hobbyists are rather obsessed with such subjects as "proper tool height", in practice you will find that being off a small amount (.010" is not unreasonable with a scale) means very little. I make hundreds of parts per week with 3 different lathes using this method without problems.

I do not imply that sloppy set up is a good practice just that pinching a scale between the tool and part and eyeballing it is equally as inaccurate.

If it is beneficial that the tool be closer then that, say parting to 0 X then by all means do whatever it takes to accomplish this.

Don't overlook cemented carbide tool bits. Need a green wheel to touch up the cutting edges. If you try inserted bits I found it helps to hand feed to see and feel how much pressure it needs to cut. Then use light power cuts until you are satisfied your lathe can handle it pressure.

A) sfpm is what matters, A 8" diameter bar spinning at 480rm is roughly 1000 sfpm, and that's pretty fast for anything other than aluminum
B) that depends on the feed rate and the chip breaker.

This page will help you understand insert nomenclature.

Hi All, new guy Eric here with a question.
Does the chart & nomenclature on the carbidedepot website translate to HSS inserts too?

I have an SB 9A and do most work with brass & nickel silver tubing.

Thanks in advance for all your knowledge!!

Eric

Hi All, new guy Eric here with a question.
Does the chart & nomenclature on the carbidedepot website translate to HSS inserts too?

I have an SB 9A and do most work with brass & nickel silver tubing.

Thanks in advance for all your knowledge!!

Eric

No, not as far as I know.

Why not just grind some HSS tool bits? Cheaper and will work better than carbide on your lathe.

Get a diamond tool holder and some crobalt hss blanks and never look back. They are a bit expensive for original purchase but the amount of metal you can move and the finish on stainless is worth it for me as a newb it helped a lot.

Back