Insert identification help

Stonebriar

Rick
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have this lathe tool someone gave me. I am trying identify the inserts needed to fit it. I have two spare inserts he gave me, also the one standing up has KC850 (Kennmetal) on it the other has nothing on it. It list as a "vintage" tool if you look it up. Any help finding insert type would be appreciated.IMG_0854.JPG

Looks like a TPG 32X style insert. You need to measure the rake angle to make sure you get the proper insert. Look on the Kennametal website to see the appropriate specifications. I believe the KC850 indicates the grade of carbide. It may not be a current offering, but as long as you select a grade that is suitable for the material you want to machine, you should be fine.

Ted

Looking at your tool is has the insert type and size stamped on the side. Which corresponds to what we said.

The inch sizes in inserts are getting hard to find. NOS are usually available on eBay, sometimes pretty cheap.

Thanks guys for the interpretation of the tool markings. TPG 32X.
Appreciate the help.

[/QUOTE]
The inch sizes in inserts are getting hard to find. NOS are usually available on eBay, sometimes pretty cheap.

They are readily available but probably designated by metric nomenclature.

Back