Insert parting tool chewed up :-(

I rarely use insert tooling for parting, except on hardened steel. I trashed too many holders due to chip jamming. HSS works just fine for most things.

I rarely use insert tooling for parting, except on hardened steel. I trashed too many holders due to chip jamming. HSS works just fine for most things.

Can you say which hss tool are you using? Also what diameters do you usually part?

1677779955077.pngThis is the type of parting blade holder use.

You might find this helpful:

"bout 5 years ago I was parting a hunk of Chinesium steel with with a 7/8 x 1/8 HSS tapered blade when something jammed. The lathe didn't stop but it blew the bottom out of my 200 series holder. I welded it back on with a little extra for good measure and it's been parting fine ever since. Always better if a consumable breaks rather than the machine.

I think, a stick out of 50 mm is way beyond the limits (regidity) of a (your) lathe.
I have mounted the tool (1" parting blade, SP200 insert) upside down, alway use power feed, always use lubrication, do it in one pass and find aluminum more challenging than steel. For me the limit is 50 mm diameter (25 mm stickout). Beyond that, I use a band saw.

I think, a stick out of 50 mm is way beyond the limits (regidity) of a (your) lathe.
I have mounted the tool (1" parting blade, SP200 insert) upside down, alway use power feed, always use lubrication, do it in one pass and find aluminum more challenging than steel. For me the limit is 50 mm diameter (25 mm stickout). Beyond that, I use a band saw.

Great, thanks :) you're the only person that mentioned max diameters. It is interesting you consider aluminium more challenging.

View attachment 439717This is the type of parting blade holder use.
What is the maximum stickout/diameter you would feel comfortable parting with it?

You might find this helpful:

Thanks. I've read it previously, but I haven't followed it... I had problems with hss, but then I had (limited) success with insert holder. I'll give hss another go next time I have to part stuff.

I finally found some time to fix that tool. From now it will live it's life as a grooving tool (maybe parting small diameters).

This is how it looked after the crash:
Compress_20230322_142242_2160.jpg
The lower tip is missing... I ground the remains off before I took this photo. It wasn't that clean cut originally.

It was also bent slightly. I straightened it fairly easily by pulling on the tool while the tip was in a vice.

I did a "file test" and I decided the tool is u hardened so I just welded few blobs of normal carbon steel tig wire onto it. Then it looked like this:
Compress_20230322_142242_2050.jpgCompress_20230322_142241_1941.jpg
Then I removed most of the material grinding free hand and I've used a tiny burr cutter from a dremel set (chucked in a drill chuck on a milling machine to clean it up and to make the raised part in the top.

It ended up like this:
Compress_20230322_142241_1801.jpg
Compress_20230322_142241_1609.jpg
I'm pretty happy I don't have to buy another parting tool :)

Back