insert style parting tool recomendation

3strucking

Registered
Registered
I am currently using a HSS parting tool and it works fine but I would like to get a carbide insert style tool. What are some recommendations on which style to get?

Well, I'm not usually one to advocate cheap tools from lands far away. But I first bought an internal (ID) grooving tool with a specific carbide insert which I normally don't use. The bar arrived after several weeks but I realized I ordered the wrong inserts (my mistake). So I found the correct inserts, they were spit cheap. For a few bucks more, got a parting tool holder thrown in. We are talking 15 Kanuck bucks (probably 7.50 USD equivalent the way we are going lately LOL)

I must say it works very well. Nice controlled chips, no abnormal cutting pressure, inserts fit the pocket well, no obscure unobtanium screws. I've also got HSS & T-blade & a different, older style of carbide, it does a comparable if not better job. I think this will be my go-to parting/grooving tool now. Plus, a/p chart below, a particular insert may span many different shank sizes (both internal & external). Some of the more industrial blade holders are quite specific. Now, I haven't used a 'good' insert tool to give a firm comparison, but I'm happy with my purchase for hobby purposes.

SNAG-3-5-2018 0000.jpg

SNAG-3-5-2018 0002.jpg

Plus 1 for chinese MGEHR parting tools. They are available for different width inserts( I use 2& 3 mm).
Only issue is that they are limited to about 16mm cut depth. I like them because the length of the insert gives more support

I am trying to decide what style of blade to buy. I need something that can go at least .750 deep.

I bought a BXA retrofit blade from Shars a couple weeks ago. It's light years ahead of the HSS blades I've used in the past.

http://www.shars.com/products/index...-retrofit-gtn-cut-off-and-grooving-blades-bxa
Plus one on this recommendation...

I am a new machinist and was having a hell of a time parting with a traditional tool. I purchased a similar Shars tool with carbide bits and it made my experience with the lathe 100 times more enjoyable. Now I don't have to worry if I am going to break off the parting tool in the work :)

+1 on dfsmoto's All Industrial Tool supply parting tool. I use the GTN-3 or GTN-4 bits. Nice curly-Q's at about 300 RPM. Also have used the MGMN 200's and 300's for brass and aluminum, but don't think either one will quite get to 0.75" DOC.

Bruce

Back