Inserts for older tools

Shotgun

Registered
Registered
I won an auction for a lot of face mills. They're older tools that don't seem to show up in the catalogues anymore. Anyone have an idea of how I can find inserts for them? They currently have inserts, but inserts don't seem to last long around me.

For instance, I have a Kennametal KHVR25TE30C. It's a 2.5" facemill with a 3/4" straight shank. Best I can tell, it uses 3 triangular inserts with a small center hole. Looks like it has never been used. Maybe the previous owner couldn't find inserts, either?

Inserts can have a short life if they are not the correct grade for the material being cut, whether or not ferrous or non ferrous. Pictures may help identify the inserts.

In my area there are a lot of old brand new inserts around BUT a picture is worth a thousand words

I went through this, and contacted(I think) Brian the lathe/mill insert guy, he called them "heritage" tooling. You must find the exact description, and look on ebay more than likely if you can't find it.

I'll post pictures later. Right now, everything is in evaporust. There's not much on them, but I don't like any. :cool:

This is one of the reasons why you see these older insert tools so cheap. When I first bought my lathe I headed down the same path. I bought a couple tools really cheap and then started to look for the inserts that were virtually extinct.
It is part of being cheap and learning about types of tools.
Joe

Back