Inspired Build of the Karl Benz 1886 Engine

rdean

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This is a photo that I found online showing a model engine.
70773-IMG-7820Eweb.jpg
The motor wagon engine has a horizontal flywheel mounted in the rear of the three wheeled auto. It was believed to be the first practical automobile in the world.
There are many sites on line showing the engine and explaining some of the features but very little technical information. All of the videos I have seen are of model engines and many searches have not produced any drawings of the engine. There is a company in Germany that is selling engine castings with plans but that is out of my price range.

So I will just wade right in and see what comes out in the end. All measurements and sizing will be taken from what looks about right in the pictures so who knows what the end product will be.

I had a 5lb weight that I had started machining for a previous engine a few years back but it had many hard spots and several voids so it went in the drawer until now.
I like to use stock that I have on hand to get started as it gives me incentive to continue.
IMG_1942.JPG

Some more machining, some sculpting, some hole filing, and some paint later.
IMG_1944.JPG

I had this aluminum tubing about the right size and cut off a piece.
IMG_1946.JPG

I whittled it down to this.
IMG_1949.JPG

The crankshaft will be attached to open end of this part and the cylinder attaches to the other end.

Thanks for looking
Ray

I think that is the same engine that I saw many years ago in a full scale replica of the car, which was made in Germany and was used as a prop in a video ad that was made here in my town at a location that was an old stone winery building, as I supplied some props for the project, I was allowed to observe production and preparations, the car was shipped from Germany to stand in for the original car which was in their museum and too precious to transport/use, the replica was built by the company as a stand in for the real thing and accompanied by two German mechanics who supplied their own benzine, which was not available in the USA, I was told. Only problem was that they were unable to get it to run, try as they would. The solution was a long piece of piano wire and my blacksmith's hammer for a handle for a couple of guys to pull it along for the filming, I never saw my hammer again and the company never paid for it, other than the fees paid for the use my props.

I’m looking forward to seeing this build, I’ve been eyeing up the casting kit myself, but the price is a bit much. I’m hoping to come across a set of dimensioned drawings, but I’m not holding my breath on that happening.

The crank shaft is done and painted.
IMG_1955.JPG

I decided to make it with a 2" stroke and with a needle bearing for the rod journal. Tapered steel pins were installed through the web shoulders and at the rod journal for added strength. I am happy to announce the crank runs very close to true after cutting out the center part of the main shaft.
IMG_1960.JPG

The flywheel looks a little small for this size engine but I won't change it now rather I will keep this in mind during the rest of the build so a larger one can be changed out later if needed.

Thanks for looking
Ray

I just realized that I had not replied to any of the posts and I am so sorry

That flywheel turned out great!
Thanks Firestram

I think that is the same engine that I saw many years ago in a full scale replica of the car, which was made in Germany and was used as a prop in a video ad that was made here in my town at a location that was an old stone winery building, as I supplied some props for the project,
Ben that must have been very interesting to see.

I’m looking forward to seeing this build, I’ve been eyeing up the casting kit myself, but the price is a bit much. I’m hoping to come across a set of dimensioned drawings, but I’m not holding my breath on that happening.
Ischg199 welcome aboard.

Thanks Robert and to all those who left likes.

Worked on the outside cylinder housing.
IMG_1963.JPG

The bolt holes even lined up.
IMG_1964.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

I wanted to check for any interference problems now before I go much further. Made up part of the connecting rod and the inner liner in order to check. It looks like there will be no problems or maybe just minor issues.
IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG
The cutaway part of the liner is the space for the cooling water.

The liner won't be installed permanently until the holes for the water connections are done.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Last edited:
Back