Installed a new water heater to get shop AC

Shotgun

Registered
Registered
My old water heater has seen over 20yrs, and water had been seeping from the top for a week or two, so I footed the $1500 for this one. They're called hybrid water heaters, and claim to save you nearly $500/yr in energy costs, plus the feds will give you a $300 tax credit. It uses a heat pump to warm the water, and the waste is chilled air. I'm dumping the chilled air into the workshop for now. In the winter, I'll cut a hole in the wall behind it and install a dryer vent. I'd say it cuts the workshop temp by 10 degrees or so. A welcome relief in NC.

It's slightly noisy while running, made worse by reverberating with the walls behind it. So, the box on top is a muffler. I used the cardboard from the box it came in, two or three layers thick, including the top, built in a couple baffles and the foam from an old seat cushion that the intake air has to route around, and cut holes in the top so that the heater's vent can't "see" them. It's put together with tape, and held on by the strap. I'll build something more appropriate if this ever wears out.

The pipe sticking out the front is for condensate. I'll get a hose and route it over to the sink. Right now, it's filling a bucket. I'll also route the water lines behind it at some point in the future. Had guest in the house this weekend and needed to get it back up ASAP, so some parts of the installation are a little makeshift. It needs pipe insulation, too.

There is an app that is supposed to let you control the settings, but they want you name, email, phone number, etc to "create an account". Now, WTH would I need "an account" to the temp on a HWH for? Just say no.

KIMG0730.JPG

Is there a frame under the compressed wood panel it's sitting on? When full, it probably weighs 450-500lbs, and if there's even a tiny leak, it won't take much soaking for that sheet to lose much of its strength.
Yes. There is a post under the center. But, now that you point that out, I think I will brace it a bit more..

There is an app that is supposed to let you control the settings, but they want you name, email, phone number, etc to "create an account". Now, WTH would I need "an account" to the temp on a HWH for? Just say no.

So they can track you and advertise to you, and sell your data.

Absolutely say "No" to this kinda crap.......or some profanity!

-brino

May I suggest put in an inline water filter on the cold intake. The last time that the city worked on the main line, mud was running through the lines. Had to replace the filter cartriage, but that is a heck a lot cheaper than a water heater.

It looks all makeshift. I would have a plumber come in and clean it up.

May I suggest put in an inline water filter on the cold intake. The last time that the city worked on the main line, mud was running through the lines. Had to replace the filter cartriage, but that is a heck a lot cheaper than a water heater.
I'm on a well that pulls from NC clay. I literally live just outside a town called "Clay"ton. :). The filter is just to the other side of the sink.

It looks all makeshift. I would have a plumber come in and clean it up.
It is makeshift.

I had guest and needed to get it running. I'd have let the plumbers do it, if I could have found one that would do it for a reasonable price. I don't consider $1200 to $1500 for a job that I can do myself in a couple hours to be reasonable.

But, I got it installed and running. Verified that it cools the shop (also drops humidity). The cleanup is easy.

$1200? My company is about $2000 for 50 gal has water heater. But I live in a high income area, no doubt they are cheaper in small towns.

I am happy that you called it a water heater. So many people I talk to its a hot water heater. When I used to work in Home Depot people would ask for hot water heaters all the time. I would politely say we were out of them!

They are so easy to install if you have the tools. $2000 is a lot of money.

When I install water heater I put ball valves on the cold and hot lines above unions. This way when they break, just turn off the valves and unscrew the unions. Much easier this way.

Back