interchangeable barrels

keltg

Active User
Registered
i am looking for some info about inter changing barrels on the Remington model 8 and model 81. Does anyone have any ideas on this.
Thank you

Apparently the Model 8 had interchangeable barrels. What are you asking about? Need a bit more info.
Pierre

Apparently the Model 8 had interchangeable barrels. What are you asking about? Need a bit more info.
Pierre
its a take down rifle but the head space on the calibers is not the same. where would you make up the head space difference? by machining the barrel plate? the piece that sits against the receiver and carrier. also the extractors are different between calibers. i have seen a interchangeable done it was with the 3 smaller calibers, 25, 30, and 32. but i also know the 35 and the 300 savage calibers in the model 81 have different extractors than the 25, 30 or 32. I have both models the 8 and the 81, one being 35 and one being 300 savage.

I have a Savage with changeable barrels, but I only have the one barrel for it. The front of the bolt comes off which I think is for the different calibers as it will take from 223 which it is now to 300 Win. mag according to the gunsmith that looked at it. It has a fixed mag.on it and it will work as the gunsmith showed me. I do like it the way it is and don't need too many more guns, but the barrel maker down the road from me could make a new barrel for me if I want. The bolt extension could be made also along with other parts as needed. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS AND KNOW HOW.
Paul

I have a Savage with changeable barrels, but I only have the one barrel for it. The front of the bolt comes off which I think is for the different calibers as it will take from 223 which it is now to 300 Win. mag according to the gunsmith that looked at it. It has a fixed mag.on it and it will work as the gunsmith showed me. I do like it the way it is and don't need too many more guns, but the barrel maker down the road from me could make a new barrel for me if I want. The bolt extension could be made also along with other parts as needed. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS AND KNOW HOW.
Paul
you are very right Paul. Would love to see pictures of your Savage rifle. I am a fan of the Savages. The Model 8 and Modle 81 rifles are semi automatic.

If the bolt is not changed with the barrel then all headspace fitting has to be in the barrel.

I have a switch barrel Savage 99. One barrel chambered for 250-3000 and the other for Remington 22 Benchrest. Since they have the same case head size, all I do is replace the barrel as needed. I did have to modify the cartridge carrier, but was it.
I posted a few pictures awhile back.
Pierre

keltg,
I found a pic of the Savage 223 with scope on the computer, and I should get a better pic soon showing the 2 piece bolt. I was going to change it to 308, but then I bought one then a year later sold it back to the same guy so I never did get it changed. The 223 is dead on so I hate to mess with it now. I use Reloader7 with 55 gr. bullet which works perfect. I am not at my loading bench now to get the grain load. The other gun is a Marlin 22 target rifle from the mid 30's.
Paul

HPIM0687.JPG

Back