Interested in this lathe

Sharptailhunter

Registered
Registered
I introduced myself in the new member section a little while ago and it was mentioned there that a Little Machine Shop lathe would be a good starter lathe. I found this one not too far from me. The seller wants $2000.

Little Machine Shop HiTorque 8.5x20 Lathe with tooling
Low usage, I just upgraded to a larger lathe but this one doesn't have alot of hours on it. Little Machine Shop Lathes have more HP than most comparable lathes. This one includes a Quick Change toolpost upgrade and the following accessories:

3 Jaw Chuck
4 Jaw Chuck
6 Tool Holders
Stead Rest
2 Live Centers
2 Dead Centers
2 Drill Chucks
Carbide Indexable turning tool Set.
Full Change Gear Set.
Stand/Storage Cabinet.

I tried to post the link to the online classified but it wouldn’t let me.

Thanks, Alex

Attachments

• IMG_3076.jpeg
    IMG_3076.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3077.jpeg
    IMG_3077.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3078.jpeg
    IMG_3078.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 72
Before I spent $2K on a used 8.5" lathe that requires change gears I'd take a hard look at a Precision Matthews PM-1022V which has a gearbox and a larger spindle bore (1" versus .8"). Yes, the LMS machine has 1.3hp instead of 1hp, but I don't believe you can use all that power on an 8.5" machine that weighs 225lbs. I just sold a 13x36" Sheldon lathe that weighed 1,400lbs and it only had 1hp...it was more than enough. You'd also get a warranty with a new machine. The PM comes with most of what seems to be included with the used LMS machine. Granted, you're talking $3K total versus $2K, but getting a more capable machine, and a warranty.

I introduced myself in the new member section a little while ago and it was mentioned there that a Little Machine Shop lathe would be a good starter lathe. I found this one not too far from me. The seller wants $2000.

Little Machine Shop HiTorque 8.5x20 Lathe with tooling
Low usage, I just upgraded to a larger lathe but this one doesn't have alot of hours on it. Little Machine Shop Lathes have more HP than most comparable lathes. This one includes a Quick Change toolpost upgrade and the following accessories:

3 Jaw Chuck
4 Jaw Chuck
6 Tool Holders
Stead Rest
2 Live Centers
2 Dead Centers
2 Drill Chucks
Carbide Indexable turning tool Set.
Full Change Gear Set.
Stand/Storage Cabinet.

I tried to post the link to the online classified but it wouldn’t let me.

Thanks, Alex
I’ve been happy with my LMS Mini-Mill and their other products. This looks like the previous version of this lathe package. While the price is good for a little-used lathe (I can see boxes of accessories that were never opened in the stand), I have to agree with @G-ManBart – the PM gives you a bigger envelope and I think you will be happier with it (as I noted elsewhere recently, if I had the $$ I'd replace my 7x16 with a PM 1020 in a heartbeat. The 8.5" head is a re-worked 7" head (same 3MT & through hole), and $400 of the package price is the stand: you'd be better off with a workbench with more storage space.

It's probably annoying to hear us tell you to spend more to get more. The PM option is closer to 3,300 with tax and shipping. Annoyance aside, I think you've gotten good advice. The fit and finish of PM machines is better than many import sales organizations. The gearbox is a real benefit. Change gears are serviceable. They are a long tradition in industry and now the hobby world. But it's super annoying about you'll think twice before cutting threads. Even if you never question the effort, it still takes longer. Doing things quickly is important, even if you're a hobby-only guy. The variable speed and gear box will help you a lot in terms of time and trouble. Buy once, cry once. But whatever you do, get a lathe and start making parts!

Last edited:
The LMS 8.5" is in a completely different class than other common lathes of that general size, it is not the usual cheap "mini-lathe". It also costs double the price of most other 8" and 9" lathes. The PM1022 is probably the only easily available lathe of roughly similar size that really compares well to it.

The 8.5" has more features than the Grizzly 9x19 and 10x22 lathes, primarily the inclusion of a power cross feed. It is also only 1" difference in swing. Most of the 10x22 are actually 9.5" swing.

PM1022 is not really much more expensive new, $2700 for the LMS 7500, vs $2900 for the PM1022. $2000 for that lathe is probably a fair price, as with that tooling, stand etc you are probably closer to $3400 to buy new.

The 7500 can actually cut a few more threads 6-80 / .25-4.0 than the PM1022 8-80 / .35-3.0
Both are variable speed but the PM1022 has a slightly lower speed range 50-2000 vs 100-2000 on the 7500
Of course the PM1022 is a little larger with a 10" swing, 22 or 30" between centers, and a 1" spindle bore vs 8.5x20" and a 0.8" spindle bore.

PM1022 can be assumed to be more rigid, as it weighs 50% more 340lbs vs 220lbs. The 1022 is only 4" longer and both machines are similar depth so you are not saving a huge amount of space going with the 8.5".

Anyway, I think that is a fair price for the lathe and for the size it is a pretty capable machine (on paper anyway). Buying new, I agree with the other posters that I'd probably go with the PM1022 as you are getting a little more for similar cost.

However for $2000 for that lathe which you can go and pick up vs a similarly equipped new PM1022 at $3200 (with stand) + $250 shipping and taxes, I'd take a good look at it, it is nearly 1/2 what you will pay for a new PM1022. I have no idea what your plans are though, it is quite possible that even the 1022 is not enough lathe for you, or either could be more than enough. Both are quality small import lathes.

I have no connection to PM or LMS, just a nerd for small lathes and I like digging into the details. Both companies have a solid reputation for good customer service. I've spent a lot of money with LMS for tooling (no machines) and have zero complaints.

Before I spent $2K on a used 8.5" lathe that requires change gears I'd take a hard look at a Precision Matthews PM-1022V which has a gearbox and a larger spindle bore (1" versus .8"). Yes, the LMS machine has 1.3hp instead of 1hp, but I don't believe you can use all that power on an 8.5" machine that weighs 225lbs. I just sold a 13x36" Sheldon lathe that weighed 1,400lbs and it only had 1hp...it was more than enough. You'd also get a warranty with a new machine. The PM comes with most of what seems to be included with the used LMS machine. Granted, you're talking $3K total versus $2K, but getting a more capable machine, and a warranty.

The PM lathes under 12" swing also require change gears. They do have a gear box but it is for the power feed speeds, not threading, although they will do a handful of threads per gear set. Same with the 9x20 and Grizzly 10x22 lathes. The gear box throws people, but they are not a full range threading QCGB like on larger lathes or many vintage lathes.

Last edited:
The PM lathes under 12" swing also require change gears. They do have a gear box but it is for the power feed speeds, not threading, although they will do a handful of threads per gear set. Same with the 9x20 and Grizzly 10x22 lathes. The gear box throws people, but they are not a full range threading QCGB like on larger lathes or many vintage lathes.

Fair point, and certainly important to mention. Even my Logan 14" has two different gears for the input side of the QCGB, but I leave the same one in 99% of the time...the less changes the better :)

I really appreciate the help and advice. It’s refreshing to find a forum with nice people on it who give solid opinions and don’t just tell me to go pack sand. I’ve been on some of those forums and it’s frustrating. I’m definitely the type who would rather spend a little more now than always wish I had later. Sounds like a PM lathe would get me more usability for a little more money.

Back