Interesting clamp

Kidding aside, it seems looks like it might be for clamping custom decorative woodwork. Certainly not coopering.

Or curved sash. Although pretty rare now, curved sash were not uncommon through the late 1890’s for oriel and turret windows. I was thinking that because the bar is rigid the clamp would be for use on the same radius work all the time, so maybe something a sash and door place would have made up in a range of radii or at least the radii they used on a common basis. I’ve had to clamp curved sash for repair and rebuild and it’s not easy to do with regular straight clamps.

Yes - my first thought was "That's a very specific clamp" - could not be use for anything other than a small variation in radius. So either had a set in different sizes or made a lot of identical stuff.

Based on the construction (not the "patina"), it appears to be quite old. Old enough that one might have been able to order such a thing for a specific job. I've got no idea what that job might have been, except that it obviously had a radial dimension.....

It looks to me to be about one step more useful than this one on Etsy. :cool:

Attachments

• curved bar clamp.jpg
    curved bar clamp.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 7
Back