Interesting threading attachment

Mitch Alsup

Registered
Registered
I found this video on building a threading attachment that takes the worry out of crashing the threading tool into the face of a part being threaded.
I just thought others might be interested, too.

Very cool, thanks for posting that! That would be a very worthwhile project for me especially since my lathe’s lowest rpm is 110 which for me is just too fast for single point threading.

There's a detailed writeup of the retractable threading toolpost in Model Engineer's Workshop. George Thomas. Bought it along with the book for the Universal Pillar Tool and it is pretty good.

There's a detailed writeup of the retractable threading toolpost in Model Engineer's Workshop. George Thomas. Bought it along with the book for the Universal Pillar Tool and it is pretty good.
Have you made the either of them? He has hand drawings on his website and they are pretty good. My tool post is an AXA so that would have to done differently.

I used a Hardinge HLVH for a while that had a rotary lever on the compound handwheel housing. It had maybe 90 degrees of travel and operated a short stroke cam that added or subtracted a short distance on top of whatever the compound handwheel moved. It was used for quick retract of the threading tool. It was AWESOME! Such a nice lathe. I had the chance to buy a mint condition machine with a full set of tooling for $6k when I was in college. I had to pass because I had no money and no where to store it. Still wish I owned that machine.

1605191996863.png

Back