Intermatic timer lobe repair

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I repaired this intermatic timer 2 or 3 years ago. The lobe wore off and it stopped shutting off.
I had used JB weld then to bring it back to length.
I now am back to the same problem.
I was thinking of cutting the lobe off, and gluing and pinning a new piece on.
I was thinking brass, and 0.039 music wire 2 pieces as the pins.
My thinking is the brass and pinning may last longer. I am concerned that machining after might be too much stress on the joint, so may decide to create a part before and then drill and mount it.

On the other hand aligning the part correctly might be tough, and drilling and mounting might be easier, then shaping.
The material is 0.158 thick at that point.
Looking for opinions on how to go about it. They don't sell parts for the intermatic timers (GRRRRRRR). Actually intermatic has gone to my list of crappy companies.. the product is good, but support and parts are not.. quite awful.
And it's very expensive to replace this for what it is.

intermatic_2.jpg

Does the piece with the worn lobe pivot on the pin or is it held tight?

I would probably make a whole new lobe part rather than try to add material back on. Although if it is steel I might try putting some small weld beads on the worn area and then grind/file it back to the desired shape.

Without knowing how that worn part fits and functions in relation to the entire mechanism I don't know what else to suggest.

Does the piece with the worn lobe pivot on the pin or is it held tight?

I would probably make a whole new lobe part rather than try to add material back on. Although if it is steel I might try putting some small weld beads on the worn area and then grind/file it back to the desired shape.

Without knowing how that worn part fits and functions in relation to the entire mechanism I don't know what else to suggest.
it's held on tight. it's zinc, maybe zanak. I should have said that earlier.

could you use a small piece of angle iron to lay on the top of the lobe and hang down over the worn area? Just a thin strip of metal bent at a 90 degree angle. Then you could epoxy it to the top of the lobe, not where the wear is. Basically make a hard surface band aid. The increased area of epoxy should be more than strong enough and the metal will take the wear, not the epoxy.

I replaced the mechanical timer for the pool lights with a digital one and have been very happy. Mainly because it keeps the time during power outages, no need to go adjust it.

I replaced the mechanical timer for the pool lights with a digital one and have been very happy. Mainly because it keeps the time during power outages, no need to go adjust it.
Does it require batteries, or is it driven by a capacitor?
The pool pump is run off this, 220v and pretty expensive for a digital for the rating.

so after cleaning off the part, I found that the JB Weld held up, it was fixed on the other side, and is still there. So this is the opposite side.. the side that turns it off. That's good news, as it makes me think JB weld might be enough to fix this too.

It is backed up by a capacitor so no batteries needed. It's only used for lighting so I'm not sure the contact rating. Honestly, I haven touched it since it was installed a few years ago. Anyway, sounds like you've found a solution.

Back