Internal Grooving

Terry Vanpool

Registered
Registered
I need to cut an internal groove in a .177 bore for a 1.5mm wide oring. The groove needs to be approx. .100" inside the bore. Is there a ready made grooving tool you could recommend or should I just grind something from HSS? If it is affordable <$50 I would buy it if not I will try to grind something.

I'm not very good with inches, but 0.177in sounds like an awfully small bore. It'll be a challenge to grind a cutter that will be thin enough to fit in and not flex under cutting loads. 0.1in deep isn't that bad, but still. Sounds like this would be a good fit for a Micro100 carbide bar - you see them a bunch on eBay for not too much money. no idea if they offer one that would work for that size though.

If the material isn't hard, or difficult to machine, HSS will be the economical way to go. If you have several to do, or the material is tough, you might consider a carbide tool.

http://www.thinbit.com/products/grooving/mi_grooving.html

Once you know what you are looking for, the bay might be your friend. Otherwise, you can buy new.

.060 wide groove in a .177 bore ? I wouldn't attempt that on one shot . Maybe a .015 tool and step it then finish . I would think you'de be chattering just a bit .

Edit . You are only 1/8" in the bore ? Shouldn't be a problem then . Go with a stub bar .

What is the dia of the groove size. I think you may have to grind the tool about .03 wide and plunge to dia of groove then bore to the .06 size width .
jimsehr

Are you working on a pellet gun ? , just curious

If you go on the Bay , this is what you would be looking for . Micro 100 with carbide bars . I will lend them to you if interested if you return them in as new condition as they are .

IMG_6141.JPG

Yes this is a pellet gun. The barrel is made from (LW19, a chrome-molybdenum type steel). I am not sure what LW19 is exactly but it is a fairly soft steel. The "O" ring is 1.5mmx4.5mm so the groove will need to be about .060 wide and .050" deep.

Not trying to second guess your project, but is it possible to groove the OD of the mating part instead? Usually easier, even if you have to bore out a bit on the ID.

Unfortunately the mating part cannot be grooved and function properly. It might be possible to make a cap to go on the end of the barrel that will provide the oring groove but working with something this small will tax my abilities and equipment.

Back