Internal Grooving

you're welcome Terry :) Not to be difficult, but it matters where the clearance is - there may be lots of clearance on the tool as a hole, so only the cutting edge touches the material. What I'm talking about is clearance once the cutting edge is in the material - think of a parting blade, the sides have to be perpendicular to the cutting edge or less (the cutting edge has to be wider than the rest of the blade) or the side will start cutting too. More cutting edges (or a larger one) = more force to cut = more potential for chatter. I have a pic somewhere..

here you go, used it to cut the threading relief on a collet chuck - lots of stick out so I had some chatter, but it got the job done
IMG_4461.JPG

see how the cutter narrows down on both sides going back from the cutting edge? That's the clearance I'm talking about.

you're welcome Terry :) Not to be difficult, but it matters where the clearance is - there may be lots of clearance on the tool as a hole, so only the cutting edge touches the material. What I'm talking about is clearance once the cutting edge is in the material - think of a parting blade, the sides have to be perpendicular to the cutting edge or less (the cutting edge has to be wider than the rest of the blade) or the side will start cutting too. More cutting edges (or a larger one) = more force to cut = more potential for chatter. I have a pic somewhere..

here you go, used it to cut the threading relief on a collet chuck - lots of stick out so I had some chatter, but it got the job done
View attachment 122350

see how the cutter narrows down on both sides going back from the cutting edge? That's the clearance I'm talking about.
Here are some different views of the tool. I do think I know what you are talking about.

Groove_Tool.jpg
Groove_Tool_2.jpg

Groove_Tool.jpg

Groove_Tool.jpg

Groove_Tool_2.jpg

Groove_Tool_2.jpg

Groove_Tool.jpg

Groove_Tool_2.jpg

Groove_Tool.jpg

Groove_Tool_2.jpg

Groove_Tool.jpg

Groove_Tool_2.jpg

I can't quite tell from the 2nd pic how much front to back relief you have - a picture from the top would really help. You've clearly got plenty of side relief on both sides and one of your earlier pics showed generous front to back relief on the side furthest from the tool post, but not on the side closest to the tool post.

so your earlier pic looked like this (exaggerated for clarity) cutter relief2.png
whereas it needs to be more like:
cutter relief.png

I can't quite tell from the 2nd pic how much front to back relief you have - a picture from the top would really help. You've clearly got plenty of side relief on both sides and one of your earlier pics showed generous front to back relief on the side furthest from the tool post, but not on the side closest to the tool post.

so your earlier pic looked like this (exaggerated for clarity) View attachment 122376
whereas it needs to be more like:
View attachment 122377
Your right the first pic did look like there was no relief on the inside face and that has been corrected.
Thanks, I need all the help I can get.

learning can be frustrating,but when the AHH Ha comes so rewarding.Good grinding will get you there.

that's what we're here for - it's a huge virtuous circle :) Tool grinding is one of those simple complex problems - lots of things going on and hard to visualise, but once you have it straight it's pretty simple!

sweet! congratulations, you must be very pleased with yourself :)

Back