Internal LH Thread Cutting

bumbino

Registered
Registered
Hello All,
I am working on cutting a nut that has LH threads. I made a tool today from 1/4 x 1/2 hss that worked pretty well but had a bit of flex to it. I'm sure the shaft was a bit thin. The cutting surface didn't cut quite deep enough to fit the bolt I want to use it on. So I'm shopping around for professionally made tools for examples. I have found many at grainger, but am now confused by lh and rh. My set up is a hole bored into the work. The spindle in a normal forward direction and the carriage driving away from the spindle (to the operator's right side). The tool cutting inside the bore closest to the operator.

This tool https://www.grainger.com/product/MICRO-100-Threading-Tool-1-4-in-Shank-16T104 says it's for cutting direction - right hand and for threading direction right hand. As I understand it when turning right hand means that your cutter is moving from the tailstock toward the headstock. But if you're threading internal on the bore side closest to the operator, wouldn't this be the same thing?

If I have thoroughly confused you, but you know how to cut LH threads into a nut, please just post an picture of the appropriate tool for the job. I have a bunch of hss blanks on the way to practice with. I also have some 1/4" tool steel round stock on hand. I'm honestly not sure the actual type of steel, but if I throw in the forge and bring it to about 1500° for a couple minutes then oil quench it will destroy a bandsaw blade. So I'm also thinking of forging a cutter for this job.

Thank you,
John

This is an ongoing thread . :)

This is an ongoing thread . :)
Unfortunately it doesn't answer my question. Thank you though.

What was the question ? The tool you posted would work .

What was the question ? The tool you posted would work .
This tool https://www.grainger.com/product/MICRO-100-Threading-Tool-1-4-in-Shank-16T104 says it's for cutting direction - right hand and for threading direction right hand. As I understand it when turning right hand means that your cutter is moving from the tailstock toward the headstock. But if you're threading internal on the bore side closest to the operator, wouldn't this be the same thing?

The tool edge needs to be able to cut when traveling toward tailstock, rather than toward spindle, to cut LH.
Otherwise, same spindle rotation, same everything

The tool you showed will cut left and right hand threads running the spindle CCW . Your feed direction would determine a left vs a right hand thread . The opposite hand bar is for running the spindle in CW rotation . It will also cut left or right hand threads once again depending on your feed direction .

The tool you showed will cut left and right hand threads running the spindle CCW . Your feed direction would determine a left vs a right hand thread . The opposite hand bar is for running the spindle in CW rotation . It will also cut left or right hand threads once again depending on your feed direction .
I'm pretty sure between mark's answer and your answer I'm on the right track.

Long story short... The tool I linked above will work for cutting an internal left hand thread with the tool moving away from the headstock, correct?

I had figured that the feed direction would determine the thread type either lh or rh. That part I had no problem with.

Thanks again,
John

Long story short... The tool I linked above will work for cutting an internal left hand thread with the tool moving away from the headstock, correct?
That would be correct . :encourage:

Back