Internal threading, headstock to tailstock, again.

litewings

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Read a bunch of threads, here and other places. Still can't decide what tool/insert. Want to do internal RH threading towards the tailstock. Want to keep cost reasonable, all in for $50-75 would be great. 5/8 tool holder. Shars and comparables are fine with me. I thread very infrequently at the moment. Acceptable threads is the goal.

At the moment, I have all insert tools. So would prefer to stay that way. May do some hss in the future for form tools, but prefer inserts for threading at this time.

Run the spindle in reverse, tool on the back side facing upwards? Feed toward the tailstock runs the resulting helix the same direction as feeding toward the headstock with the tool and spindle in the normal modes.

just make sure the lead screw is spinning the same direction as the spindle for RH threads.....

Last edited:
I bought an indexable threading bar for doing rh internal threads and just turn it upside down in the same holder to cut outside threads. Works great. Of course this only works for for threads on the end of a piece of stock. For threads I need further down, I use my aloris threading tool holder which I love but its hss of course. However, I prefer carbide because I can run much faster so not as much waiting on the thread dial. A higher speed also leaves a better finish with carbide.

With same settingds as RH thread, run lathe in revese either with the cutter upside down if towards you or right side up if it's in the back of the hole.

I recently got this one

I use the same inserts as the external threading tool, 16ERAG60, which I already had. The correct insert would be 16ILAG60, but the minor differences have not been a problem (so far). I used it for chasing 2-1/4 - 8 threads in a hardened pot-chuck collet adapter recently. Works nicely.

Back