Intro to my little hobby metal shop and request for tooling recommendations

That's a down side of working aluminum. Deeper cuts help, I also hold a brush next to the tool to help break the chip. Sometimes using pliers to remove the chips is the best option. Aluminum specific inserts and tool grinds can help as well.

My lathe came with a leadscrew cover like that. I like it and have never had a problem with it.

I scanned over the thread but I’m late to it and someone else might have suggested these

Be sure to have a horizontal bandsaw to cut stock down to size. The first time you are cutting metal with a hacksaw you will definitely understand

Be sure to be ready with a shop vac for cleaning up the floor and the machines. Can also use it to catch chips while cutting.

I also hold a brush next to the tool to help break the chip. Sometimes using pliers to remove the chips is the best option. Aluminum specific inserts and tool grinds can help as well.
oooo i like the brush idea. i keep an old painbrush i shortened the bristles on the clean the machine after working and that would be great. I like that a lot better than holding hard parts like pliers near all the spinning parts.

My lathe came with a leadscrew cover like that. I like it and have never had a problem with it.
Looks like its about $30 bucks direct from china without mounts and a bagillion day shipping and significantly more stateside as a kit. I was surprised as i figured it would be like a $10 material. I'll keep it on the maybe list i suppose

Be sure to have a horizontal bandsaw to cut stock down to size. The first time you are cutting metal with a hacksaw you will definitely understand
Picked up a portable band saw a while back. I absolutly adore that thing. Hacksaws blow and cutoff wheels are a goddarn mess. This thing is quiet, clean, and effortless. Ill need a new blade soon probably so ill have to do some tooth count research.

Be sure to be ready with a shop vac for cleaning up the floor and the machines. Can also use it to catch chips while cutting.

Yep! got that all setup. i like the idea to intercept right at the machine! thanks!

Here is a tip to mount the 1.25 inch vacuum end with a Ram mount setup. They have a larger size and a claw end for it. Get 3-4 links and mount the other end to your mill so it follows where the end mill goes.

high quality stuff and you can order any price you want

Back