Introduction And Interest In Pm Machines

Overwatcher

Registered
Registered
Hey all,
First off I am glad for the offerings this forum has to offer.Exactly what I'm looking for,always been a big fan of forums(gun/hunting related)and that guys can share their experience and not be gimmicked by marketing.(marketing can get a bit wild in the gun industry).
Recently I have decided with finances and a place to put machines,It has put me on the hunt for a machine I can afford for med/light duty gun related work.(Chambering/Threading/truing actions)

I have overlooked the Grizzly offerings that specifically target the "gunsmith" in mind.Not being overly sold on them. That being said,after doing some looking the PM1340GT has caught my eye.Being Taiwan made gives me a little more comfort in the QA/Tolerance/quality realm, while the cost is the best I have seen for a Taiwan offering.

One of my biggest concerns is customer service and parts available/support/gimmicks on machines currently in my price range .I see Matt from PM is on here(+1)and want to give Mike(zmotorsports) a hand for having an informative YouTube video/thread covering the 1340GT.

A little background on myself,I have been machining for 10 years and 2 in a machining program.I have been pretty spoiled at work,running everything from mazak,Haas,hardinge,leblond etc..And while a hardinge would fit the bill just great..I just don't have the bills to swing it.Haven't really looked at options that fit my bill,and I get the "gimmick" feeling with the Chinese options,and don't have enough knowledge yet to pan out what's quality.

But anyways just wanted to get some feelers out there for the experience they have had with PM and the machine,or if there is some other offerings out there that I haven't caught yet.So far from what I have collected,I'm headed in the right direction with a PM.
Open to comments/opinions/options! (All machinist's typically have BOLD opinion's,and not saying its a bad thing)
Thanks in advance, and hope to get to know the group.
Austin

I have a 1340gt as do quite a few others here. And I'm pretty sure most are very satisfied with their lathes.

Matt at PM is top shelf and fully supports the products he sells. As for the lathe: I'll put it up against any other of a similar size and weight. Just my opinion, and I'm no machinist. Just a guy who uses their machines for gunsmithing and other projects. :)

I will second Bill's comments on both Matt @ Quality Machine Tools and the machines he sells. The PM1340GT lathe and the PM935TV/TS mill are very nice quality... far above their price point!

Austin, welcome to the forum and I think the PM-1340GT is a hard act to follow. I have had mine for nearly two years now and would buy it again if I was faced with the same decision. It is a joy to operate and I have a grin every time I get to use it. There seem to be a lot more people on here with them so hopefully there is more information and first hand experiences as when I purchased mine.

Mike.

I have a 1340gt, a 935 TS mill and one of Matt's 7 x 12 band saws. I have not had any problems with any machine.

Matt at PM is a good guy, I have never had a problem getting ahold of him. To quote Bill "As for the lathe: I'll put it up against any other of a similar size and weight." No, (1340GT) it is not a HAAS, for the price I think it is a good deal.

JD

Hey thanks for the insight guys...I'm thinking this is the route I want to take.As soon as it warms up and can get the shop configured,I will be touching bases again.
Thanks again on giving comfort in the customer service area..Looks like Matt is on the ball!
I have had some bad dealings with company's who's CS is terrible,tough to get those tastes out of your mouth.
Austin

Back