Introduction - New Atlas Lathe Owner

Thanks man. Is that 10-254 handle a press fit?
I doubt it. Likely a threaded shaft.

Also what is a "eccentric"? (I'm not sure how to get the 10-252 off... it's in the way of me sliding off the 10-243 gear.
An eccentric is a shaft with an off-center hole. Think of it as a cam. When you turn the handle, the eccentric will roll the shaft around its outer diameter and engage the backgear with the spindle. Can you post some more upclose pics of the ends of the assembly? I believe 10-250 is inserted into the eccentrics on either end.

Interestingly enough the person who installed this on my machine must have lost or thrown away the 10-259 pins.
Check the back of your headstock. If missing there, then yes, sadly I think you are correct. Those are an easy and necessary replacement though, you will want alignement of the backgear assembly with your spindle to ensure you have good gear meshing.

Lastly are the oil ports on the castings around the shaft (L4-245L and 10-245R) supposed to have set screws in the oilers on top? They are threaded, but mine are just open threaded holes... I'm guessing there are oil cups that fit in there?
Or needle oilers. I don't see either on the print. While it is possible that empty threaded holes were always there, those fill up with chips, dust and dirt. Likely those are missing whatever was there previously. Perhaps @wa5cab can provide some insight on what is supposed to be there.

Yeah, if I can get this casing (10-245R) off without having to removed the eccentric than I may just leave it all together. That handle in there sure does seem tight. I may try to heat the shaft it's screwed into.

Attachments

• IMG_3280.JPG
    IMG_3280.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3281.JPG
    IMG_3281.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3282.JPG
    IMG_3282.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Yeah, if I can get this casing (10-245R) off without having to removed the eccentric than I may just leave it all together. That handle in there sure does seem tight. I may try to heat the shaft it's screwed into.
In image 3281, appears to be a tapered pin or roll pin going through the eccentric? Has that been removed?

In image 3281, appears to be a tapered pin or roll pin going through the eccentric? Has that been removed?
That doesn't go all the way though. From what I can tell is that is a dead end. No set screw. I think it may be designed for a hook wrench?

That doesn't go all the way though. From what I can tell is that is a dead end. No set screw. I think it may be designed for a hook wrench?
Look closely. It may have been ground and blended in on the other side. That hole doesn't make sense otherwise

First, the tapped holes in the tops of the two brackets are for attaching the belt cover bracket on some lathes. Remember that the bracket design dates from 1936. If the belt cover on your lathe is not attached there, just disregard them.

It should not be necessary to remove any of the parts from the right side of the 10-250 shaft, including the rod and knob. Everything should come off of the shaft to the left. After removing the back gear sub-assembly from the headstock, the L-245L Bracket should slide off of the 10-252 Eccentric, along with the 10-167 wave washer and after loosening the set screw, the 10-253 Collar. Match-mark the shaft and eccentric with a felt tipped pen and then remove the tapered pin from the eccentric and shaft and remove the eccentric from the shaft. Note that the pin will only come out one way, so ID the small end and drive from that end. Slide the back gears off of the shaft. Note that none of the parts drawings show how the two gears are keyed to the 10-248 Sleeve. You might report that.

Last edited:
First, the tapped holes in the tops of the two brackets are for attaching the belt cover bracket on some lathes. Remember that the bracket design dates from 1936. If the belt cover on your lathe is not attached there, just disregard them.

It should not be necessary to remove any of the parts from the right side of the 10-250 shaft, including the rod and knob. Everything should come off of the shaft to the left. After removing the back gear sub-assembly from the headstock, the L-245L Bracket should slide off of the 10-252 Eccentric, along with the 10-167 wave washer and after loosening the set screw, the 10-253 Collar. Match-mark the shaft and eccentric with a felt tipped pen and then remove the tapered pin from the eccentric and shaft and remove the eccentric from the shaft. Note that the pin will only come out one way, so ID the small end and drive from that end. Slide the back gears off of the shaft. Note that none of the parts drawings show how the two gears are keyed to the 10-248 Sleeve. You might report that.

If necessary

I was looking around to get some oil cups... but gosh darn these guys are expensive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Most Americans have little idea what commercial or industrial quality equipment costs today because most of what they buy comes from China or nearby countries. Your lathe, if sold new today would probably list for $5000. At least according to one on-line calculator. However, I ran the same calculator against the cost of my first Land Rover in 1969 and the sixth one in 2013 and came up with a figure about 1/3 of actual. So go figure... At least the sixth one is faster and more comfortable than the first one. :)

Back