Ir threading insert question

dsclathe

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone, sorry if this is a lame question, but I'm a little perplexed. All I'm trying to find out is, what is the difference between an ir11 ag60 insert and an ir16 ag60 insert. I know they are internal threading but the 11 and 16 have me confused. Can an 11ir be used with a 16er or vice versa? Will the 11 &16 ir fit the same tool ect? Thanks for any clarification. Cheers

The 11 and 16 refer to the size of the insert. The distance along one side of the triangle. 11mm vs 16mm. If you have the insert holder, the correct insert size is usually stamped or printed on it somewhere. At least they are on the ones I have.

The 11 and 16 refer to the size of the insert. The distance along one side of the triangle. 11mm vs 16mm. If you have the insert holder, the correct insert size is usually stamped or printed on it somewhere. At least they are on the ones I have.
So I would imagine I couldn't cut a thread with an er16 and have it fit an ir11? Or would that just be the setup on the lathe that determines the fit?

They both cut the same size threads. It has to do with the size of the insert holder, which is generally regulated by the size of the lathe.

A smaller lathe will use a smaller quick change tool post, smaller tool holders, smaller inserts - this is not exactly a universal truth, because there are exceptions to everything.

An ER16 is for cutting external right hand threads (or left hand internal). A IR11 is for cutting INTERNAL right hand threads (or left hand external). You cannot put at 16ER insert into a tool holder designed for 16IR, or 11IR or 11ER for that matter. They are different physical sizes.

16ER-1.png.webp

10pcs-16ER-AG60-16ER-AG55-16IR-AG55-16IR-AG60-Carbide-Threading-Inserts-55-60-degree-Threading.jpg.webp

The inserts in the bar won't fit .

Ok, thats what I was looking for. That i could use both sizes Having 2 different size inserts as well as holders for each to cut threads. I have AXA qctp. Should be able to make it work I imagine. Thanks for all the info. First timer trying threading after some time put in on the atlas 10f lathe

Welcome and stay warm up there . :grin: Nice country .

Haha, we just went through -30c for a week, about 2.5 feet of snow, now raining and +5 hahaha mixed up mess up this way cheers
Yep , following along Calgary's weather . Wanted to come back up next month to visit the son .

A holder can only fit one size insert, and the insert size is dependent on the size of the insert holder and what is available for the shank size. Lay down inserts come in different I.C. (inscribed circle) series, as well as internal/external and right hand and left hand. The also can be in partial profile threading with a range of threading or full thread single pitch/TPI. There are also different coatings. If one is doing general turning, I usually recommend going with the size 16 (IC 3/8") AG60 series as this gives you the widest thread range. You may be limited to a 5/8" size insert holder, not sure if they have one in 1/2". Internal threading is similar issue. I use BXA holders and 3/4" shank threading insert holders. I cut a very wide range of threads with the same 16 AG60 insert, limit is mostly the the depth of the thread. Very course threads require full thread insert and may require a different anvil.

Laydown Threading inserts 16 AG60 .jpg

Back